Connecting to DataStage server failed...

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kinooy
Participant

Connecting to DataStage server failed...

Post by kinooy »

Hi,

After DS Server in Solaris installation using user: dsadm (admin level) which is successfully installed, project created, and service up successfully using command $DSHOME/bin/uv -admin -start, I tried to connect from DS Client using Designer. username:dsadm pwd:126dsadm.

But when selecting Project: This error message occur:
"Failed to connect to host: 10.87.19.173, project: UV (User name and/or password incorrect (80011))"

In my experience using DS Server in Windows version, it is no problem using username dsadm (admin level).

Any idea with this strange error ?

Thank You & Regards,
YA
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

Try to log into Unix (given ip-address) with the user and password.
kinooy
Participant

Post by kinooy »

Sainath.Srinivasan wrote:Try to log into Unix (given ip-address) with the user and password.
It done successfully.
But while connect using DS Client, is always error.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

kinooy,

did you try to do a telnet or ping from your pc - perhaps a firewall or other connectivity issue at a network level is preventing you from seeing the host.
The next step is to see if the listener on the Solaris box is there - when you do a "ps -ef | grep ds" do you see any processes?
kinooy
Participant

Post by kinooy »

ArndW wrote:kinooy,

did you try to do a telnet or ping from your pc - perhaps a firewall or other connectivity issue at a network level is preventing you from seeing the host.
The next step is to see if the listener on the Solaris box is there - when you do a "ps -ef | grep ds" do you see any processes?
Yes ArndW i did it successfully..
and here is result for "ps -ef | grep ds"
$ ps -ef | grep ds
dsadm 694 693 0 18:15:36 pts/3 0:00 ps -ef
dsadm 410 1 0 16:57:39 ? 0:00 /home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/bin/dsrpcd
dsadm 656 654 0 17:21:03 pts/3 0:00 -sh
dsadm 693 656 0 18:15:36 pts/3 0:00 grep ds
$
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Odd....

if you

Code: Select all

cd `cat /.dshome`
and

. ./dsenv
and finally

./bin/dssh
does the system bring you into the UniVerse environment? (you can exit by issuing the "QUIT" command)
kinooy
Participant

Post by kinooy »

i can ot quitting... :oops: **unix newbie**

btw what does it means ?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Can you connect with the Administrator client (which uses a slightly different paradigm)? If not, please post the full error message. If you can connect, what happens when you select the Projects tab?

In the dssh environment (as per Arnd's previous post), execute the command

LIST UV.ACCOUNT PATH 
and advise us of the result. This is the table (hashed file) from which DataStage clients obtain the list of project names with which to populate the drop down list in the connection dialog. If this is damaged it might explain the message you're getting.

Other possibilities include that /.dshome does not exist and/or the environment variable DSHOME does not have a value, that impersonation mode has improperly been asserted, or that the permissions in $DSHOME/bin are incorrect.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kinooy
Participant

Post by kinooy »

Hi Ray,

I can't connect even from Administrator.
the full message is ..
"Failed to connect to host: 10.87.19.173, project: UV (User name and/or password incorrect (80011))"
how to get into dssh ? to execute LIST UV.ACCOUNT PATH ??

for DSHOME info in .profile is ..
# Copyright (c) 2001 by Sun Microsystems, Inc.
# All rights reserved.
#
# ident "@(#)local.profile 1.10 01/06/23 SMI"
stty istrip
DSHOME=/home/dsadm/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine;
export DSHOME
PATH=/usr/bin:/usr/ucb:/etc:.
export PATH
there is nothing in /.dshome file.. if there must be something in it.. what is usually type in ?

Thanks
YA
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

kinooy wrote:i can ot quitting... :oops: **unix newbie**

btw what does it means ?
ummm... does that mean that you managed to enter the DataStage environment (the prompt is a ">").?
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Kinooy,

I recall at one time there was an issue with the password length & contents when connecting through the client. Do you have special characters in your password and how many characters do you utilize?

The .dshome file in root is hidden, so a normal "ls" doesn't show it. If it is actually missing then something went wrong with your install process. Do a "ls -al /.dshome" and it should show you a small file.

The 3 commands I listed do (a) attach you to the home directory, (b) ensure that your environment is set and (c) call up the DS shell program. If something isn't working with the 3 commands then you probably have an incomplete or incorrect installation.
kinooy
Participant

Post by kinooy »

ArndW wrote:Kinooy,

I recall at one time there was an issue with the password length & contents when connecting through the client. Do you have special characters in your password and how many characters do you utilize?

The .dshome file in root is hidden, so a normal "ls" doesn't show it. If it is actually missing then something went wrong with your install process. Do a "ls -al /.dshome" and it should show you a small file.

The 3 commands I listed do (a) attach you to the home directory, (b) ensure that your environment is set and (c) call up the DS shell program. If something isn't working with the 3 commands then you probably have an incomplete or incorrect installation.
Hi ArndW,

I think something goes wrong with installation because i didn't find .dshome file. I don't have any special character in password content, username: dsadm password: 12dsadm.

From you experience, are install DS Server with root or user dsadm ?
Can you send a sample of your steps ? Or email me if you don't mind (kinooy at gmail dot com).

Thank You.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If you can't find .dshome in the root directory, your installation is incomplete and you will probably need to reinstall the server.
Use ls -al /.dshome to determine whether you really can not find this file.
If you believe that the installation is successful otherwise, you could try to create /.dshome. Attach to the DataStage server engine directory logged in as root, then execute the following command:

echo `pwd` > /.dshome
Note the use of backquote characters. This may or may not be successful in getting your access to DataStage reinstated (it assumes that someone deleted /.dshome).
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

kinooy,

the install procedure has gotten a lot better in recent times, I last installed on Unix when you still needed "root" so I am not the best person to ask about installing as "dsadm".
But someone else will certainly give you advice!
kinooy
Participant

Post by kinooy »

ArndW wrote:kinooy,

the install procedure has gotten a lot better in recent times, I last installed on Unix when you still needed "root" so I am not the best person to ask about installing as "dsadm".
But someone else will certainly give you advice!
Hai ArndW, Ray and All,

At last I uninstall DS Server and use root for installation.
It did successfully great ! Thanks for your advice guys.. :D

But I still little bit difficulty for setup ODBC for connecting to DB400 in AS/400 and Syabse IQ open client..

Do you guys have any experience on it ??

Anyway million thanks to you guys...

Kinooy