Co-existence of multiple versions of server/client

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dfong
Participant

Co-existence of multiple versions of server/client

Post by dfong »

Is it possible to install multiple versions of servers/clients at the same windows box? (version 6.0.1 and version 7.5)

I do not require both of them to be up and running in same time. Just want to find out if I can install them at the same time and choose to start and connect to one of them at a time.

Thanks a lot.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

dfong,

one of the niceer features that DS now has is the multi-instanciation of the database engine, so part of the answer is yes, you can have multiple servers running. Unfortunately, the client software uses libraries and as far as I know you can't have concurrent installs of different versions on the same machine.

The good news is that one of my all-time favorite products, VMWARE, will let you host any number of [concurrent] virtual machines. So if you have licenses then you can install several virtual machines with different client/servers and, if you wish, they will run at the same time on the same box; the servers even have their own IP addresses and can have different hardware configurations. See the VMWare website for details. I would suggest this over actual concurrent server instances on the same physical machine.
[/url]
hkotze
Participant

Post by hkotze »

You can have multiple DS client version on the same machine. Your 7.5 client install multi client manager that allow you to switch your client to match you server.
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
And the good thing is that from 7.5 the client switcher is actually a supported utility :).
still only one version can be active at any givven time for the reasons ArndW mentioned.
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
dfong
Participant

Post by dfong »

In fact, I have installed the client multi-switcher but I couldnt find the icon in my desktop nor start menu, where can I locate it?

So I have version 7.5 client/server on my NT box already. What I need to do is pick another directory and install version 6 client/server, is that true?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

There's no icon because it's a little DOS command line program. From what I recall, you need to read the readme to see how to setup two shortcuts to it, using the appropriate options to switch to one version or the other.

Yes, all you need to do is install the Version 6 client to a different directory. That and specify a different 'menu group' for the shortcuts. Whichever one you install last will be the 'current' version until you use the switcher to get back to the original one.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
Transmogorifier
Participant

Using ClientSwitcher...

Post by Transmogorifier »

Multiple Clients for DS can be installed on the same machine. You just have to install the two different clients in separate directories. I have 6.1 and 7.1.r1 running on the same machine. You can simplify the switching over of the clients by using the clientSwitcher service. Under Unix, you can create a script which runs the service, you will need to create two different scripts for the two different versions. If you are using windoze then you can create two .bat files, one for each installation and then run them whenever you want to switch from one version to the other.