3 Servers Jobs Collapsed to One

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
fewer jobs <> more easy maintanance and tends to make the jobs more complex.

to answer your question yes you can do it but not as strait forward as clicking a few check boxes.
you'll need to customly force this via adding dummy constraints and or using basic routines.

if you really want such complications I can provide some, just ask for it in a follow up to this post.

IMHO, breaking your flow down to small manage able jobs with a clear flow view is the best way, not alwayes suitable, but prefered.

IHTH
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
palmeal
Participant

Post by palmeal »

No need for further detail Roy - I just wondered if I was missing something simple. I'll live with the extra number of server jobs.
Thanks for the quick answer.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Have you investigated job sequences?

That would give you your "way to control the execution order on a Server job and/or insert wait conditions" with the greatest of ease. It could be as simple as three dependent Job Activities.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
palmeal
Participant

Post by palmeal »

Thanks Ray - I currently have a job sequence and a Server Job with JCL that do this.
I was just trying to have less components to manage as this sort of scenario will occur many times in the project that I am working on.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

OK, you can compress everything into one job, making use of the fact that a passive stage can not open its outputs until all its inputs are closed.
For example:

Code: Select all

Part1  ---->  SeqFile  ---->  Part2  ---->  SeqFile  ---->  Part3
But I'd still advocate separate componentry (if pieces are identical put them in Shared Containers for re-use). It's easier to maintain in the long run, easier to troubleshoot, easier to modify and easier to test. Apply the KISS principle!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.