version control moved different job

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

poorna_76
Charter Member
Charter Member

version control moved different job

Post by poorna_76 »

We have intialized a JobControl Job(JC_XYZ) from our Development region to VERSION project.
The Version Control tool initialized entirely different job(Sequencer job), than what we intialized.

All the previous 5 versions of the same job in the VERSION project are good.
The latest version of the job is bad.
The name when it intialized is same(JC_XYZ^1_6),but the layout(content) is a different jobs layout.

What may be the causes for this?

Thanks in Advance
ogmios
Participant

Re: version control moved different job

Post by ogmios »

DataStage Version control works in mysterious ways... we got rid of it in every place.

Ogmios
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
divad
Charter Member
Charter Member

Re: version control moved different job

Post by divad »

Version Control appears to work fine if you promote an entire project but it has problems promoting a single job.

Check out this related <a href="viewtopic.php?t=90045&highlight=sporadi ... >thread</a>
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Well, that was helpful. :wink: And the 'whole project' comment is untrue.

I've been using it exclusively since the 4.x days of DataStage and have yet to see this behaviour... or at least I would have said that until a couple of weeks ago. Now I have to amend the statement to say that it has never happened to me and I've promoted jobs thousands of times without incident over the years.

However, one of my coworkers did a job initialization early one morning and "had problems" but couldn't explain what exactly the problem was. When I opened up the VC project, the initialized job was in there twice and it was a different job than it should have been. This after four sucessful initializations beore then. I then proceeded to initialize it a seventh time and it went just fine.

Never did figure out what in the heck happened, but it was an isolated incident for us and certainly hasn't soured us on using Version Control.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Seems to have crept in since Ascl took over the maintenance of Version Control from our friends at DCS! :twisted:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

I can also say that I've heard of this happening. I've never seen it first-hand, but a co-worker had this happen a couple of different times. Of course, with me looking on over her shoulder, we couldn't duplicate the behavior.

Mike
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

We just had it happen. We are checking it out now.
Mamu Kim
ds_developer
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by ds_developer »

I'm not sure it applies or not, but I've seen some unexpected job names show up on the Dependencies tab of a job. Have you checked there? Maybe VC is picking them up?
John
mhester
Participant

Post by mhester »

Seems to have crept in since Ascl took over the maintenance of Version Control from our friends at DCS!
Has Ascential made any further code enhancements since maintenance was turned over to Ascl? The last change I made to the product prior to turnover was to address ecase - 58690 (Version Control incorrectly promotes parallel containers as server shared containers).

I know from the code base that as Ascl continues to overload the repository (one attribute doing double or sometimes triple duty) that changes to VC will need to be made or one might receive results like what we have been seeing recently.

Regards,