DataStage var char limitations?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

EJRoufs
Participant

DataStage var char limitations?

Post by EJRoufs »

I am posting this message out here for a fellow DataStage Developer here, so hopefully i can get all of the facts straight on this. :>

They have their original source data coming in from SQL Server, going into a Transform Stage, and then back out to another SQL Server table. Nothing complicated. However, one of their fields is defined as Var Char of 2000. They are only getting 1000 characters thru, though. I am wondering if this is a DataStage limitation? Or a bug? And is there a way around it? We are using DataStage version 7.1, i believe. I know Ascential is up to version 7.5, but our process for upgrading is not the speediest in the world.

Thanks for any help here. :>
Eric
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It's not a DataStage limitation; DataStage can handle VarChar up to 64K characters.

Are there any warning messages in the log about data being truncated?

Create a job that writes to a textfile, so you can determine whether the truncation is occurring during SELECT or INSERT/UPDATE operations.

Verify that the column truly is defined as 2000, by manually inspecting the table definition outside of DataStage.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.