prgram source check box in Export dialog

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

yiminghu
Participant

prgram source check box in Export dialog

Post by yiminghu »

Hi,

In export dialog, right below job executables, there is a check box called 'program source', what does that do? If I don't check this box, what kind of consequence will be?

Thanks,

Carol
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Hello Carol,

when you don't export the source code for routines, then just the compiled DS/BASIC pseudocode for the routines and functions gets exported. This is excellent when promoting a job to an environment such as production or testing where no changes are to be done - without the source code it is extremely difficult to modify functions.

The salient difference is that you won't be able to edit and modify any functions or routines without the source code; in projects where you import these elements without source you won't be able to call up the editor from the manager.
yiminghu
Participant

Post by yiminghu »

What I meant is the program source (right below job executable) not the source code of routine.

Thanks,

Carol
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Carol,

the same principle applies for jobs as well; in DataStage Server the jobs actually generate BASIC pseudocode behind the scenes. When you import jobs that have been exported without source code you can no longer edit them with the designer; they are effectively run-only.
yiminghu
Participant

Post by yiminghu »

If I select job design, that will export job design, and will allow me to edit the job in the designer after I import it.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

If you do export the job design you will have source, but if you unclick that and only export the object then you will have a job that cannot be changed, only run.
info_ds
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by info_ds »

Hi ArndW,

I have exported a job with the job executable and Program Sources uncheked
After Import, I am able to run the job from but I cannot view the design as the design is not exported.

Now I export the job with the job executable and Program Sources cheked
Yet again, I am able to run the job from but I cannot view the design

But the size of the file in the first case is 12kb and the next is 15 kb.

I want to know what program sources is it exporting?

Where can I see the source code?

Thank You
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

If you export your jobs without clicking on the 1st drop-down (Job Designs) enabled, you won't get any design-time information; it is independant of the the "executable" and "source" export attributes in the Manager for jobs.

The settings for routines are a bit different, you only have two choices there regarding the source and object code.
info_ds
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by info_ds »

Hi ArndW,

Thanks for your reply.

My question is

what is the difference between
exporting jobs by checking program sources under job executables and exporting without checking program sources?
kumar_s
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kumar_s »

I guess you may find the difference when you export Sequence.

-Kumar
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The "sources" for jobs tab in the executable sections means those BASIC source code portions that are generated during the compile of the job.

If you have the design-time information those "sources" are created at compile time and including them isn't necessary or of interest to you. At the moment I can't think of how those sources can help you if you don't have the designtime information; but there should be some reason. Perhaps someone else might assist my failing memory, but until then I'll treat that tab as if it were the DataStage version of an appendix.
I_Server_Whale
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by I_Server_Whale »

Hi All,

Reading this post raised another related question :?: in my mind. How does Version control promote jobs to production?

What options does Version Control choose while promoting to production or other environment? Does version control use the same "export" process as the regular "export" process in the manager?

Any thoughts :idea: would be very much appreciated.
Anything that won't sell, I don't want to invent. Its sale is proof of utility, and utility is success.
Author: Thomas A. Edison 1847-1931, American Inventor, Entrepreneur, Founder of GE
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Version Control does things its own way, not anything like you would do via export/import. It works 'under the covers' and transfers just the source / 'design time information' to the target project when doing a Promote. You have the option of having it recompile automatically and/or mark the jobs are Read Only as part of that process.

The advantage here, to me anyways, is the fact that it doesn't need to delete the old job. This means your log information from pervious runs (and technically the job number) are still available after a newer version of the job is promoted.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers