Why job got locked

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

divine
Premium Member
Premium Member

Why job got locked

Post by divine »

Hi All,

Can any one tell me why job got locked while it is in running state and how to unlock it. As for the last one month I am getting this problem and I have to stop those jobs manually and re-run.But I do not know why it get locked. Can any one help me.
With Regards
Biswajit
sudharsanan
Participant

Post by sudharsanan »

Can you tell us wht that job is doing?.. does that involve any hash files or files releated jobs.. just give more information about this job. A job will get locked when it is opened in Designer and the session getting expired.. so when someone tries to open that job you will get a error message saying the job got opened by another user..to resolve this you need the help of admionistrator to unlock this job..but one question is when the job is locked you will not have any problem in running it but you cannot do any other operation's such as export, import or complie of that job..just be careful while working in designer.. after you completed the work.just close the job so that you can avoid job locking...i hope this info will be useful to you..
scottr
Participant

Post by scottr »

In the Director tool under Job tab u can find Cleaanup Resources and Clear Status file try these options to unclock ur job.pl note DS Admin has to enable these commands for u.
sun786
Participant

Post by sun786 »

All said is cool!!!!!!!
Does any one give me detailed steps to unlock the job in the unix server.
I have admin access.
Hope this may help every one
vcannadevula
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by vcannadevula »

sun786 wrote:All said is cool!!!!!!!
Does any one give me detailed steps to unlock the job in the unix server.
I have admin access.
Hope this may help every one

1) Login in into the Datastage server box from the command line as datastage adminstrator
2) goto Home directory i.e ur DSEngine directory
3) enter . ./dsenv
4) enter bin/uv
5) LOGTO Project [project is your project name]
6) LIST.READU EVERY
7) Under ACTIVE Recors Locks, you have a Item_ID column, where you can find the job you want to unlock
8) get the node number [column 2] and the user number [column 4] for the locked job you have identified
9) enter LOGTO UV
10) DS.UNLOCK NODE nodenumber USER usernumber ALL
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
how about using DS.TOOLS after you loging to the project, as said in the prev post?
then pick option 5 - locks/processes
here you can list all locks with options 4 and 1 to get the pid then you can also use option 9 to logout a process - might be enough if you have a hunged one and also option 7 to clear locks held by a process, in case it is no longer running.

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Locks are there for a reason, so it is dangerous to release them by force without some understanding of the potential ramifications.

A running job will take a lock to prevent the code that it is executing from being re-compiled while it is trying to execute it.

The only time that it is safe to release a lock is when you have established (using list_readu and ps commands, for example) that the lock is held by a defunct process - that is, by a process that will never be able to release the lock of its own accord.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.