Multiple instances

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ranga1970
Participant

Multiple instances

Post by ranga1970 »

Hi,
I job by XFMLoad(MultipleInstances)
In the designer I see it as XFMLOAD, but in director I see it as XFMLOAD_AZ, XFMLOAD_CO, XFMLOAD_NV
How to define this condition as multiple instances, if i make changes to XFMLOAD will the changes be seen in all the three instances?
could some please explain me how we could define a job as multiple instance and why it is seen as single job in designer but as multiple jobs in director

thanks
ranga
RRCHINTALA
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

The "base" job is what you design. Under Job Properties you enable multi-instance for that job. When you compile/import the base job, all instances are deleted. You cannot edit an instance of a job. When you run or validate a base job, you are given an additional field to supply: invocation id. When you supply a value, a copy is made of the base job executable as basejob.invocationid. You can also do this using job control APIs by simply attaching to basejob.invocationid, and when you run it the instance is created automatically. Recompiling the base job deletes the instances, try it!
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The different instances you see in Director are like views. All instances share the same physical log (and there is another reason for creating jobs that don't generate millions of warnings!); that the job was run with an invocation ID means that there is a separate log view for that instance.

Recompiling the job resets information in the RT_CONFIGnnn file and some of the information in the RT_STATUSnnn file associated with the job (among other things). This is where the fact that the job was recently run with an invocation ID is erased, even though the entries physically remain in the log until purged.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.