Sequencer

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

kab123
Participant

Sequencer

Post by kab123 »

Hi,

Do the Parameters in Job Sequencer Overwrite the parameters in each job..? or Do I need to give the same parameters in all jobs and sequencer...? I used Job Control, I never Used Sequencer..I think it will overwrite but Pls correct me if I am wrong...

Thanks in Advance..
Thanks
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

The JobSequence is Batch Control with GUI front-end.

You need to define a Job Sequence with the parameters you need to pass to the sub-jobs and then 'add' the jobs you wish to be called and link the properties to those in the sequence so that they will be passed to the called jobs.
kab123
Participant

Post by kab123 »

Hi Sai,

So Irrespective of wat parameters we gave in sub jobs, It will over write from Job Sequencer Parameters list...rt..?

Thanks..
Thanks
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

The value of the parameter in the master job will be passed to the sub-job where it is linked.

For e.g.,
if you have a job called 'ExtractEmployee' which has a parameter CompanyCode with default value of 123 and if you call this from a sequencer called 'EmpSeq' with parameter called MasterCompanyCode which you link to CompanyCode for ExtractEmployee from the Sequencer and pass value '987' to the MasterCompanyCode, your sequencer 'EmpSeq' will run the 'ExtractEmployee' job with the CompanyCode value of '987'.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

So Irrespective of wat parameters we gave in sub jobs, It will over write from Job Sequencer Parameters list...rt..?
Not necessarily. One choice in the Job Activity is the "Set to Default" button. This causes the controlled job's own default value to be used.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chrisk
Participant

Post by chrisk »

DS7.5 allows you to have basic expressions in the properties of the job activity stage in the sequence job. This means you can do more than simply pass parameter values from the parent sequence job to the child job.

DS7.1 does not have this luxury.

Not sure what happened to the 7.2, 7.3 and 7.4 versions of DS?!!!!

C.
Chris Kearns
Altis Consulting Pty Ltd
www.altis.com.au
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

3.0 came out prior to 2.5. :twisted:

After all, they're only for uniqueness, aren't they?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.