Report Generation/Documentation

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

srikie
Participant

Report Generation/Documentation

Post by srikie »

Hi,
I was looking for a way to get the documentation of the jobs that are already developed and run successfully so that I could have a look at it.
There is "reporting assistant" in the manager but it doesnot help much.
Can any one tell me how I can do that.
I am datastage mvs.
Srikie
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

jobs that are already developed and run successfully
Please clarify what you mean by this. The execution environment for mainframe jobs is a mainframe. Your DataStage server has no knowledge of that execution environment.

There is an option to generate operational metadata from a mainframe job, ftp to a MetaStage server, and import into a MetaStage Directory. It gives you some very basic operational metadata (e.g. job start, job end, link counts).

Mike
srikie
Participant

Re: Report Generation/Documentation

Post by srikie »

already developed and run successfully
I meant there jobs which are already developed and implemented might as well be in Mainframes. But I just need the documentation which shows various details of job design like mappings, constraints, derivations.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You could look in the DataStage Director. De-select View Categories from the View menu, then Filter or Sort the status view. From this you can determine the ones that have been compiled or not.

Much more difficult to determine which ones have been run, because they are run on your mainframe machine, unless your job designs record some information about their own run.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
hotrjrod
Participant

Post by hotrjrod »

There is a tool called DSToolBox that should be able to provide you the functionality you are looking for. Please go to www.teknionusa.com and click on DSToolBox for information and download.

Rod Johnson
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

You can also buy DwNav from my web site or I have a lot of free tools that do a great job of automating documentation. On my tips page or on ADN download KgdGenHtml.zip. This is a few jobs which generate nice html documentation one file per job and one file per routine. It will also build an index page where you can find jobs by name or category. DwNav includes an index by table name or hash file name. DwNav also includes row counts and other nice stats.
Mamu Kim
udankar
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by udankar »

hotrjrod wrote:There is a tool called DSToolBox that should be able to provide you the functionality you are looking for. Please go to www.teknionusa.com and click on DSToolBox for information and download.

Rod Johnson
I tried using this tool - Trial version. Even though it got installed I am unable to use it - It throws an error "Run Time Error '429' ActiveX Component cant create object"

What is the component this tool is expecting in my machine? Did anyone encounter this error while using this tool? Please do let me know whats the problem? What is the reason for getting this error and what is its work around?
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

"Hotrod" hasn't posted here for 4 years. Best to go to the source for problems with that application.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

It expects DataStage client to be loaded. DwNav uses information created by Reporting Assistant. It adds to this sequences but PX jobs and MVS jobs are not supported.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Are you running version 7.5? If so, is there an icon on the toolbar, an icon that looks like the Internet Explorer icon? This will generate your documentation in HTML format, complete with bitmap picture of the job design. You can achieve the same thing with the -report option of the dsjob command.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.