Accessing Windows ODBC from UNIX DataStage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ArndW
Participant

Accessing Windows ODBC from UNIX DataStage

Post by ArndW »

I recall having had to use a 3rd party tool to access an ODBC data source on the Windows platform (SQL Server, Access, etc.) from a UNIX-based DataStage installation. Is this still the case, or is the access now done differently; in this case it is AIX accessing SQL-Server.
s_boyapati
Premium Member
Premium Member

Re: Accessing Windows ODBC from UNIX DataStage

Post by s_boyapati »

ArndW wrote:I recall having had to use a 3rd party tool to access an ODBC data source on the Windows platform (SQL Server, Access, etc.) from a UNIX-based DataStage installation. Is this still the case, or is the access now done differently; in this case it is AIX accessing SQL-Server.
Yes. you can use 3rd party tool in 7.x too. but DS uses ODBC drivers by default, configured in ODBC.ini.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Thanks for responding - but I am aware of using ODBC on UNIX; but there are/were complications when reading a remote Non-UNIX ODBC Db, are there not? It might have been in the other direction, i.e. reading ODBC databases on UNIX from Windoze.
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
As long as you have a ODBC driver for your platform that supposrt access to remote DB you can configure it, but there are some implications:
if this driver can't use the existing driver manager that comes with DS I belive you can only have 1 valid driver manager at any time.
in any case if you use the ODBC drivers that coem with DS have a look see under the branded_odbc directory for docs on work-arounds for issues with the connections for various DBs.
IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Thanks Roy & s_boyapati.

It is slowly coming back to me now - the 3rd party drivers were necessary on UNIX boxes when Windows was attempting to access databases; the other way around was easier.

I'll give it a go tomorrow when the Server gets installed.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

DataStage has for some while shipped with ODBC drivers from Data Direct (formerly Merant). This suite includes a driver for Microsoft SQL Server.

It's called VMmsss19.so and is to be found in $DSHOME/../branded_odbc/lib. The "msss" in the name stands for "MicroSoft Sql Server". (It has a .sl suffix on some UNIX variants.)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.