Informatica To DataStage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Billu
Participant

Informatica To DataStage

Post by Billu »

Hi
I know that Import\Export facility is there both in Informatica and DataStage. Is it possible to transfer a job from Informatica To DataStage using them :? :?: I want to mean I m exporting a job from Informatica and now I want to import it to DataStage. Is it possible? :!:

Billu
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Almost definitely not.

The two products work in quite different ways, so the probability of their design-time information (which is what you export) being compatible is of the order of the weight of a single atom of hydrogen in tonnes.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
peternolan9
Participant

Re: Informatica To DataStage

Post by peternolan9 »

Billu wrote:Hi
I know that Import\Export facility is there both in Informatica and DataStage. Is it possible to transfer a job from Informatica To DataStage using them :? :?: I want to mean I m exporting a job from Informatica and now I want to import it to DataStage. Is it possible? :!:

Billu

Billu,
I have worked with both products extensively and the answer is 'extremely difficult'.......I could probably write an XML reader/writer to do it.....but no-one would be interested in paying that amount of money for something like this...

Informatica handles lookups and filters completely differently to DS for a start.........when building a complex job it is not uncommon for INFA to have 3,4,5 or even 10x as many icons in the job as the equivalent DS job.

Even if you managed to 'automatically' convert the jobs what you would finish up with is a really, really, really, really crappy DS job that you would not want to put into production......INFA<->DS is a re-write.
Best Regards
Peter Nolan
www.peternolan.com
Sainath.Srinivasan
Participant

Post by Sainath.Srinivasan »

You can transfer the metadata across using the MetaStage (I believe MetaStage metabroker is available for Informatica)
peternolan9
Participant

Post by peternolan9 »

Sainath.Srinivasan wrote:You can transfer the metadata across using the MetaStage (I believe MetaStage metabroker is available for Informatica)
Hi Sainath,
I believe you can, and I think it might even be possible to transfer run time stats through CDIS 1.0 (I think it was called)...but this does not 'buy' one much....
Best Regards
Peter Nolan
www.peternolan.com
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I seriously doubt that the MetaBroker for Informatica has the ability to grab design-time information. No other MetaBroker does. They concentrate on technical metadata (table definitions, etc.) and process metadata.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
peternolan9
Participant

Post by peternolan9 »

ray.wurlod wrote:I seriously doubt that the MetaBroker for Informatica has the ability to grab design-time information. No other MetaBroker does. They concentrate on technical metadata (table definitions, etc.) and process metadata.
Hi Ray,
I think MetaStage had an interface to grab run time information from standarised sources....not design time....I never used it but Tom Nel did tell me that if 'other home grown' ETL systems were run around an organisation it was possible for them to send run time metadata to metastage...since we were not doing this I didn't give it a second thought....

So I think it might just be possible to do this with INFA->MetaStage....certainly Sybase Warehouse Control Center takes some standardised format of run time metadata from INFA and if Sybase WCC can do it I'm sure MetaStage can do it....WCC is a downmarket metastage..
Best Regards
Peter Nolan
www.peternolan.com
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

I haven't seen it in action but I believe a tool exists that performs a basic conversion from Informatica to DataStage jobs. It is the property of the team that converts old PeopleSoft customers across from Informatica to the DataStage for PeopleSoft edition.

If you are working for a PeopleSoft EPM customer and you are moving from Informatica to DataStage you should contact Ascential or PeopleSoft to find out if you quality for free conversion.
mangrick
Participant

Post by mangrick »

As far as I know, at least Informatica sales persons are telling that they have a CWM based tool to automatically convert DS jobs to Informatica mappings.

I never saw it, but this "automatic migration" is allways a point.
Regards,
Mathias Angrick
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There was a team of engineers who coded the Peoplesoft Informatica mappings into DataStage routines by hand. This speaks to me about the lack of an automatic conversion tool.
sushanth
Participant

Peoplesoft people did Informatica mappings into DataStage

Post by sushanth »

Yah As Mr ray says it must be the reason to convert InFormatica maps into DS jobs thts right. I do agree
Sushanth
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

As far as I know, at least Informatica sales persons are telling that they have a CWM based tool to automatically convert DS jobs to Informatica mappings.

When did you start believing anything an IT sales person tells you? :twisted: