Bulk Loaders in DS

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

palaniappan
Participant

Bulk Loaders in DS

Post by palaniappan »

Hi,

A document that I was browsing through says that DS supports bulk loading utility for Oracle, Informix, Sybase Adaptive Server, Sybase Adaptive Server IQ, MSSQL, Redbrick, and IBM DB2 UDB.

I know that it supports Oracle, DB2 and Informix. Is the rest of the information creditable? What other bulk loaders does DS support?

Thanks, Pal.
dsrules
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dsrules »

Include TeraData in it.

dsrules.

Post by Luk »

Hi !
Sybase ASIQ is also suported! Plug-in creates flat file wchich is later load into database.

LUK
ogmios
Participant

Re: Bulk Loaders in DS

Post by ogmios »

The bulk loaders (personal experience with DB2 and Oracle) are remarkably slower than running them outside of DataStage... upto 10 times slower and more.

Ogmios.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

You can easily run these outside of DataStage by writing shell scripts. DataStage can generate the control files needed for any of these. If you think they are slower then update a flat file and then run a shell script to bulk load. Let us know the results. I would like to know which is slower and by how much.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The only Red Brick stage in DataStage is the bulk loader stage. :wink:

Says something important about purpose-designed DW databases, I feel.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Often it is not the bulk loader that is slower but the creation of the data files. You can save time by creating the data file with a sequential file stage and then calling the bulk loader externally.

I have all the Standard Edition RDBMS plugins loaded, I can see DB2/UDB Load, Informix Load and Informix XPS Load, Oracle 7 Load and Oracle OCI Load, Redbrick Load, Sybase BCP Load and Sybase IQ 12 Load, Teradata Load and Teradata Multi Load. It's a Unix installation so I don't see an MSSQL Load.