3GB File limitation for RedHat ES version

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

alexysflores
Participant

3GB File limitation for RedHat ES version

Post by alexysflores »

I just wondering if anybody around has done installation and development projects on a RedHat ES server. Are there issue like file limitation greater than 3GB on hash and sequential text files. Based on my experiences with Windoze environment, I usually get the famous Blue screen and dll errror messages - No offense to Windoze fanatics members here.
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

The normal limitation for RedHat partitions is 2Gb for a single file. There are a couple of implementation of LFS out there which will allow you to go far beyond that but I don't know how far I'd trust non-standard file systems (albeit I guess that is an oxymoron when it comes to Linux). DataStage hash files can be configured around the 2Gb limit, but it does take a bit of work. If you are going to have a flat file larger than 2Gb and can't break it up into pieces then try a LFS.
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
If your OS supports 64 bit then 2GB is not a limit.
If your OS is 32 bit you'll have to manipulate files to not overgo this limit by splitting them.
In seq files simply split the files according to your logic (round robin or key manipulation) and run multi instance jobs to paralel process them
In hash files for lookup simply perform multiple lookups and combine the results.

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

You have to make sure you have the version of 7.1 that has the 64bit capabilities for Sequential and CFF stages. I have a customer who uses RedHat and required patches to get it to work after logging GTARS with tech support. I imagine that's in the 7.5 product by now.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
alexysflores
Participant

Post by alexysflores »

[quote="kcbland"]You have to make sure you have the version of 7.1 that has the 64bit capabilities for Sequential and CFF stages. I have a customer who uses RedHat and required patches to get it to work after logging GTARS with tech support. I imagine that's in the 7.5 product by now.[/quote]

Thanks for the help, I'll do some evaluation for 7.5 on RH