Different stages in the datastage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Bram
Participant

Different stages in the datastage

Post by Bram »

Hello everyone,

Does any body tell me what are the different stages in datastage, and what is the purpose of each stage, where do we use them. Actually i am in the process of learning this tool, also please advise me how to go about that.

Appreciate your help
dsrules
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by dsrules »

Welcome aboard :D
You can start with reading the manuals first. The stages differ for server and parallel jobs. So go through the Server Job Developer's Guide and the Parallel Job Developer's Guide they can give you inforamtion on all the stages except for the Plug-in stages. You would also like to read the DataStage Plug-In Documentation.

Post by Bram »

Hi dsrules,

Thanks for your reply,
could you please briefly tell me what are the server jobs and parallel jobs, why do we need them and where do we use them,

Thanks,
bram
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There are three different kinds of DataStage job.

Server jobs run on a single server. The underlying language (in which you develop routines, expressions, etc.) is DataStage BASIC.

Parallel jobs run on one or more "processing nodes" in an SMP or MPP environment. The underlying language is C/C++.

Mainframe jobs run on mainframes. The underlying language is COBOL (DataStage generates not only the COBOL source code but also the JCL to compile and run it).

Depending upon which "edition" of DataStage you have purchased depends on which of these you have. If you have not purchased one of the "Enterprise" editions, then you will only have server jobs.

Each style of DataStage job has its own set of available stage types. While there is overlap in functionality, the three styles of job are, to all practical intent, separate. As is the design strategy used in each.

Looks like you need to spend some time browsing through the DataStage manuals, and to enrol on the "DataStage Essentials" class for the particular job style that you will be using.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Bram
Participant

Post by Bram »

Hi Ray

Thanks for your answer, i am the beginner in datastage. I worked on Informatica, as my present client is using datastage, i got interest to learn that.
Please respond to my queries,

Appreciate your help
Bram
Participant

Post by Bram »

Hi Ray

Thanks for your answer, i am the beginner in datastage. I worked on Informatica, as my present client is using datastage, i got interest to learn that.
Please respond to my queries,

Appreciate your help
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Certainly it's a steep part of the learning curve you're on. What you are seeking from this list is free tuition, that would take at least fifteen days of formal class time. I doubt that any of the contributors here can afford that amount of time as a gift.

Either enrol in one of the standard class offerings, or engage a tutor or consultant to teach you DataStage.

Since you have DataStage, you have the manuals. They are a reasonable place to start. You also have a tutorial that ships with the product. This is not a bad way to get yourself started.

C:\Program Files\Ascential\DataStage\Docs is where you will find the manuals.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
T42
Participant

Post by T42 »

May I also pipe in and strongly recommend getting a training class for DataStage. There are some trainers that are very familiar with Informatica and could adjust the coursework to help get you up to speed much faster.

Please have your client contact Ascential for training options for you. There are online courses, in-class training, and so on forth. Your company may already have some training credits they can use for you.

Good luck! Welcome aboard!
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

Since you are already proficient with one ETL tool you could consider Ascential eLearning for DataStage Enterprise or Standard Editions. It is not as good as instructor lead however it lets you work at your own pace.

Keep an eye on the Ascential Learning web site for classroom courses in your area. There is a DataStage course in Los Angeles on the 4th of January, another one in San Fransisco on the 1st of Feb.

See http://www.ascential.com/content/servic ... Enroll.pdf for the full schedule.

I recommend anyone working in DataStage who wants to know the difference between Standard and Enterprise Editions should flip through the first couple chapters of the Parallel Developers Guide. If it hasn't been installed on your PC go back to your install CD and look under the documentation directory for it.