Sequncer Execution

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rajeev_prabhuat
Participant

Sequncer Execution

Post by rajeev_prabhuat »

Hi,

We performed a sequencer test. He has used Jobs 0, 1 and 2 to run simultaneously, converging into a sequencer followed by Job 7. He has set the sequence in "Any" mode. What he has observed is that as soon as the first job is completed, the sequencer is initiated which in turn ran Job 7. As soon as Job 7 is finished, the entire sequence is stopped irrespective of the other jobs.

So, the understanding here is that, in "Any" mode, as soon as the any one of the jobs is complete, the sequence is initiated ONLY ONCE and not once each for every job completion.

If this is correct, can you give me your suggestions for triggering the jobs 7 only after completing the each and every jobs 0 to 2, and then complete the job sequnce. We cannot use All mode because it should not wait for job 7 to do after all the jobs 0 to 2 are complete.

The sequnce is something like this

Code: Select all

Job0 ---->}  
  Job1  ----> }Sequncer --->Job7
  Job2  ---->}   (ANY)
Regards,
Rajeev Prabhu
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
How about invoking a command line or DS routine to start job 7 and exit?
(After any of jobs 0-2 is done)

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Well, you could do something like this:

Job0 ---> Job7 }
Job1 ---> Job7 } ---> Seq (All) ---> anything else
Job2 ---> Job7 }
Or course, Job7 will need to allow Multi Instance execution in case they try to run at the same time.

Or at worst case you could run Job0 thru Job2 in a serial fashion, with Job7 following each.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ogmios
Participant

Post by ogmios »

If you really can't get out it's time to go to BASIC. For these kind of special things I would definitely use BASIC. Heck, I use BASIC for all controlling jobs, I'm not too fond of Sequencers.

Ogmios
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If this is correct, can you give me your suggestions for triggering the jobs 7 only after completing the each and every jobs 0 to 2, and then complete the job sequnce. We cannot use All mode because it should not wait for job 7 to do after all the jobs 0 to 2 are complete.
This statement is internally inconsistent.
You want ALL of jobs 0, 1 and 2 to finish, yet you can't (won't?) use ALL mode in the Sequencer.

The design you require is

Job 0  -----+
Job 1  -----+->  Sequencer(All)  ----->  Job 7
Job 2  -----+
Job 7 will not start until all (which means the same as "each and every") of Job 0, Job 1 and Job 2 are complete.

If, on the other hand, you want Job 7 to run separately after each of the other three completes, then the multi-instance solution suggested by chulett is the appropriate one. You will need a mechanism for providing an invocation ID to the multi-instance job 7; I'd suggest "AfterJob0", "AfterJob1" and "AfterJob2" as suitable candidates. You may also need to make row selection or location criteria into job parameters.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.