Creating a directory based hash file from a Basic routine

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Anjan Roy
Participant

Creating a directory based hash file from a Basic routine

Post by Anjan Roy »

Hi All,

We have a defined directory for writing all the hash files. This is done for backup and restore purpose.

Now, I am writting a basic routine to create a hash file. Is there a way I can get the hash file created in the specified directory and not in the project directory? I would like to have the file created in the directory and then create F-Pointers to the file.

Any help would be appreciated.

-Thanks
Anjan
mhester
Participant

Post by mhester »

The only way to do this would be to use the mkdbfile command located in the datastage\engine\bin directory. You can do this via a program or manually and the command would look something like -

Code: Select all

...\engine\bin\mkdbfile c:\HASHTEST 30 1 4 20 50 80 256
where
  • 30 = file type
    1 = modulo
    4 = separation
    20 = hash type
    50 = max load
    80 = split load
    256 = large record size
and if you want to create the dictionary for this file then the following command will create the dict -

....\datastage\engine\bin\mkdbfile c:\D_HASHTEST 3 1 1

Regards,
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Not the only way! The CREATE TABLE statement supports DATA and DICT clauses that can be used to specify location of the data and file dictionary portions.

CREATE TABLE hashed_file_name
DATA /dirpath/hashed_file_name
DICT /dirpath/D_hashed_file_name
(
  column definitions...
);
As a bonus, this also creates the VOC entry.
On the down side (maybe) it means that data types are enforced. But you can make everything VARCHAR to get around that.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
him121
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by him121 »

hi..
adding to this questions..
we have almost all HASH file stored in C:\projecttemp\ppl directory..

now i want to read this HASH file ...in routine...

when i apply 'SELECT SRC_SYS_ID FROM HASH' it gave me error that hash file doesnt exsists....

so how can i do DS Admin Query in Routines on HASH file stored in particular directory...

thanx..

Himanshu
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Search the forum for the SETFILE command.

You need to create a pointer (which is stored in the VOC file) to tell DataStage SQL queries where the hashed file is.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
mhester
Participant

Post by mhester »

I still believe mkdbfile is "easiest" way to create the file. Most will not use the create table since it requires defining columns etc... Not generally what most people want to do.
Anjan Roy
Participant

Post by Anjan Roy »

Thanks for the response.

Next question -

If I create a file using CREATE TABLE command, do I need to explicitely create an F-pointer or it gets created automatically?

ray.wurlod wrote:Not the only way! The CREATE TABLE statement supports DATA and DICT clauses that can be used to specify location of the data and file dictionary portions.

CREATE TABLE hashed_file_name
DATA /dirpath/hashed_file_name
DICT /dirpath/D_hashed_file_name
(
  column definitions...
);
As a bonus, this also creates the VOC entry.
On the down side (maybe) it means that data types are enforced. But you can make everything VARCHAR to get around that.
Anjan Roy
Participant

Post by Anjan Roy »

Adding to my previous questions - If I create a file using CREATE TABLE command, is there a command like DROP TABLE that would remove the voc entry as well as the O/S file?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

"As a bonus, it also creates the VOC entry." This is the F pointer to which you refer.

Yes, you drop it using DROP TABLE hashedfilename; if it was created with CREATE TABLE.

I prefer not to use mkdbfile because it does not populate a file dictionary, and I DO like to have my metadata recorded.