Datastage and Unidata tmp directory

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

wdudek
Participant

Datastage and Unidata tmp directory

Post by wdudek »

We are running Datastage 6 from a windows server, it extracts data from a Unidata database running on an AIX server. Over the weekend we upgraded both Unidata (5.2 to 6.0.8) and AIX (4.3.3 to 5.2) and are now finding temporary files being created in our /tmp directory on the AIX server, when we run our extract jobs in Datastage. Our Unidata database is set to use a differnt, much larger temp space than /tmp. But since these files are now being created in /tmp they are filling the file system and causing our datastage jobs to fail with errors like "get next packet failure". Has anyone else seen this? We are currently in contact with IBM, and the vendor we purcahsed Unidata from, but they haven't been able to answer this yet. We are also contacting Ascential, but have yet to speak to a person there.

Essentially the question is on Unidata what controls the tmp space for the uniapi?

Thanks,
Bill
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Is it UniData temp space or DataStage temp space?

The latter is set by the UVTEMP configuration parameter in uvconfig. Search the forum for how to change this.

It sounds like the UniData temp space is properly configured. Details on how to do this are in the Administering UniData on UNIX manual.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
wdudek
Participant

Post by wdudek »

Its the Unidata temp space used by datastage. The correct temp space is being used by the Unidata database for all other processing. IBM has told us that version 6.0.8 of Unidata has bugs with uni objects and recommended that we upgrade to 6.0.12. We will be doing this tonight and I'll let everyone know how it goes tomorrow.

Thanks,
Bill
wdudek
Participant

Post by wdudek »

well it was 6.0.14 that we upgraded to, but it didn't help much. If anyone is familiar with Unidata it is being suggested to us that it is a problem with the uni objects using the wrong temp space. i.e. not the one from the udtconfig file. But we can't find any configuration files that would seem to correct this. And all of our other udt processes seem to use the temp space from the udtconfig file.

Any thoughts???
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Some of the temp files will be being generated by the DataStage agent processes supporting your connected client. The settings in udtconfig are not at all related to these; rather, their temp directory is set by the UVTEMP configuration parameter in the $DSHOME/uvconfig file. Its default value is /tmp.

Search the forum for "regen", which you will need to do after changing the value in $DSHOME/uvconfig. You will also need to re-start DataStage.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
wdudek
Participant

Post by wdudek »

Ray,

I just want to clarify our scenario before changing anything. Our datastage server is running on windows 2k, it hasn't been changed and is functioning as expected on the windows side. Our Unidata server is running on AIX. Both Unidata and AIX have been updated here. When datastage connects to the Unidata database, it is using /tmp instead of /dsitmp, which is specified as the temporary environment for internal Unidata processes, when it does a preselect on the specified file. We believe that prior to our upgrades the datastage processes on the Unidata server (uniapi_server) were using the /dsitmp file system but now are using the /tmp file system.

With that said I looked into our uvconfig file and the UVTEMP variable is not set.

Code: Select all

# UVTEMP - is the name of the directory
#   where the server maintains select lists
#   and other internal temporary work
#   files.  This should be a fully
#   qualified name of no more than 112
#   characters. E.g. C:\TEMP
UVTEMP
If changing this on the windows server may correct the problem on the Unix server I am willing to do so, but just want to make sure I understand this correctly first.

Thanks,
Bill