Problem with installation on HP system

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

akrzy
Participant

Problem with installation on HP system

Post by akrzy »

Hi.
Is it require to move all installation catalogs and files from CD to server?
Can I install DataStage on HP in the different way?

Have someone experiance with installation on HP system?

Regards,
Anka
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Not sure what you are asking. :?

Yes, the standard UNIX server installation requires a certain amount of 'temp' space be available where the contents of the CDROM are 'unpacked' and the installation actually runs from. No way 'round that, as far as I know.

What kind of specific problem or errors are you having?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

It is necessary to have temp space because some files are compressed on the CD; the CD being read-only means they can't be uncompressed there!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
akrzy
Participant

Post by akrzy »

OK,
I need "Temp" but should I move whole CD into "Temp" directory or just *.tar files?
ogmios
Participant

Post by ogmios »

Mount the cd and install from there.

If you don't have physical access to the machine you can ftp the contents to the server to any place you like. But if you use tar on Windows to put all files of the CD in one file be careful as the installation script will not work properly anymore. The script I believe assume some files without extension will get a '.' attached to the filename, while if you tar on windows this is not the case (probably also depending on which tar application you use).

When running the installation script you can choose where the temporary files will be put.

Ogmios

P.S. If you move the files to the server, move ALL files.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.