Job Sequencer

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rajeev_prabhuat
Participant

Job Sequencer

Post by rajeev_prabhuat »

Hi,

I am having 32 jobs, in which i will be generating the Dsjobreport into a folder, i am having another job wich takes data from the folder which contains the DsjobReport and will take into our format. My doubt is that in Job Sequencer, cani call the second job after completion of each job 32 times.

Secon job has a folder stage, which takes the files from the folder and does the processing through transformer and populates a sequential file with the needed format.

Regards,
Rajeev Prabhu
davidnemirovsky
Participant

Post by davidnemirovsky »

cani call the second job after completion of each job 32 times
Yes you can but it will look quite messy. I would create a Job Control routine to kick off the first job and then create a loop for the second job that executes 32 times. It is a neater solution.
Cheers,
Dave Nemirovsky
chucksmith
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by chucksmith »

Code: Select all

JobActivity 1 ---> S S
     .             E T ---> JobActivity (second job)
     .             Q A
     .             U G
     .             E E
     .             N
     .             C
     .             E
JobActivity 32 --> R
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

Either way would work. David's would run the jobs in a serial fashion, while Chuck's would run them in parallel... which would be faster as long as your job design will accomdate that. If you do, make sure the Sequence stage has its property set to 'All', by the way. :wink:

If you have 7.5, the first methodology should be able to be done in a Sequencer now that the Loop Start and Loop Stop stages have been added.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

32 in parallel may saturate the machine, and therefore be self-defeating. Opt for a compromise of N in parallel, where the machine has N+1 CPUs.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.