Output to table based on value in field

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

garthmac
Charter Member
Charter Member

Output to table based on value in field

Post by garthmac »

Hi,

Some help and advice on the following would be appreciated:

I have one job, I want to be able to output to multiple tables dynamically based on a value in a field. The target is AS/400 files (tables), all have the same metadata.

Example: Business Unit (BU) holds 8 distinct values, I want to output to 8 tables dynamically for each BU. A BU of 393 should be output to TABLENAME393, BU of 392 = TABLENAME392 etc

I want to avoid hardcoding by having 8 output links, with 8 constraints in the transformer. More BU's could be added in the future. So I would like this job to be generic with 1 output link.

I have looked into using multiple instance jobs, with an invocation ID for each BU, but this is still hardcoding. :?
ogmios
Participant

Re: Output to table based on value in field

Post by ogmios »

What you try to do cannot be completely achieved using the GUI jobs, you could do it via a BASIC job.

If you want to make a generic job that writes to a "dynamic" table this can be done as long as all of the tables have the same DDL. You could enter the table-name as a parameter in the job and start up the job with a specific parameter to a specific table using the argument in the output stage. But this does not work on row-basis.

On row basis the only way to my knowledge is a BASIC job.

Ogmios
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
tonystark622
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tonystark622 »

I suspect you may be able to do this with 7.5 by building a Job Sequencer job that loops, filling the BU and InstanceID with distinct BU values from the data. Obviously, you would have to figure out a way to feed the list of distinct BU's to the loop.

Good Luck!
Tony
garthmac
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by garthmac »

Thanks guys for your comments so far. Tony, unfortunatley we don't have 7.5 yet, we are running 7.1 r1
I'm assuming by a BASIC job you mean some job control code that runs my job, and somehow loops through the BU's to write to the correct table? DS BASIC is not one of my stengths :(
chucksmith
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by chucksmith »

How about this:

Create an intermediate hash file with the BU number as part of the primary key. This file would mirror the structure of the tables you are trying to populate.

Next, create a simple job that reads the hash file with a select parameterized phrase, and write to your AS400 tables with parameterized table names.

Code: Select all

HASH ---> XFR ---> AS400
Your hash file select phrase would look something like:

BU = #BuNumber#
Your (AS400) stage tables name would look something like:

TABLENAME#BuNumber#
Lastly, create a job sequencer that runs the above job in a loop for each possible BU number.

All of this is straight forward, GUI based development. :wink:
ogmios
Participant

Post by ogmios »

Personally I was thinking of a complete BASIC job... not only the controlling job. Open

Instead of the hashfiles in the above mail you could also load them to database tables to accomplish the same. The "problem" with using arguments is that they cannot be assigned during runtime of the job, the job itself cannot assign variables based upon row values.

If you do it with a GUI job and running it several times in a row with different arguments you do have to take care of restartability, ...

Ogmios
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You could create a multi-instance job (perhaps use the BU as invocation ID) supplying the appropriate BU job parameter value for each invocation.
Execute them from a job sequence that feeds each parameter value appropriately. Each job processes only the data for its particular BU; it's best to ensure this in the extraction phase. (You can even run the jobs in parallel but don't overload your CPUs!)

This is not the appropriate solution if the domain of BUs is unknown in advance but, if this were the case, how would you guarantee that the target table(s) would be available?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

A completely maintainable approach would see the list of BUs being read in by a routine which calls up a multiple instance job for each BU in the list. This list could be a flat file, or a delimited job parameter or a database table.

Starting a job from a job control routine is very easy. I suggest you play around with a batch job for a bit, add your multiple instance job to a batch job using the combo box and copy and paste the code into your routine.

Reading values from a file is covered in this forum (look for sequence commands) and in the server job developers guide.

You just need a loop that for each BU starts up an instance of the job and passes it the BU as the instance ID. Within the job you can put invocation id into the table name field using TABLENAME#DSInvocationId#.

An administrator can then add or remove BUs by changing the file or job parameter that feeds the list to the job.
garthmac
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by garthmac »

Thanks everyone, I didn't expect so many replies :-)
For this problem, I have until Q3 next year to play around, testing the various ways of doing this (this project is on hold while I work on another one).
I will start on the multi-instance job route, with looping job control.