version control in DS

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

yiminghu
Participant

version control in DS

Post by yiminghu »

Hi,

I want to get some input regarding to version control? If you have mutiple developers in one team, how do you control the same job would not be editted by mutiple developers at the same time.

Does Asentail provide its own version control? Or do you use third-party product? Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Carol
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

DataStage controls access to jobs by locking them while they are being edited, thus only one person can be 'working' on (or even looking at) a job at any given time.

There is a product called Version Control that ships with the client software, which is the official product for doing versioning in DS. In 6.x from what I remember, you won't find it on the autorun menu, you need to explore the cdrom to find and install it yourself. In 7.x they finally added it to the menu so people know it is there.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
chand
Participant

Re: version control in DS

Post by chand »

Yes, as far as i know Datastage 7.x does have a version control which is very useful. I dont have much idea about other versions.

Thank you,
Regards. :)

yiminghu wrote:Hi,

I want to get some input regarding to version control? If you have mutiple developers in one team, how do you control the same job would not be editted by mutiple developers at the same time.

Does Asentail provide its own version control? Or do you use third-party product? Any recommendations?

Thanks,

Carol
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Version Control became part of DataStage in version 5.2. Prior to that it was available as a third party product from the good folks who host this forum. Who still maintain it. :wink:
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

The version control in DataStage controls the version numbering and version rollback of components as they move between environments, eg. development to testing. It does not contain the source management functions within the development environment. DataStage does not come with many team collaboration functions such as check in/check out or review/approve etc.

Of all the tools in the suite I think QualityStage is the worst for a team development environment and ProfileStage is the best.

There have been some posts in the archives about efforts to integrate with 3rd party source control tools, usually by providing export files. Check in and check out and other team collaboration functions are due in the Hawk release at the end of 2005.
Baldmartyr
Participant

Post by Baldmartyr »

ray.wurlod wrote:Version Control became part of DataStage in version 5.2. Prior to that it was available as a third party product from the good folks who host this forum. Who still maintain it. :wink:
Actually our contract ended Oct. 1. Ascential now owns <em>and </em> supports VC. Of course there's the handoff of all the code, design specs, etc. which we're still working on! (Soon I'll get this VC monkey off my back!)
David Baldwin
Former DSXchange Webmaster