Abnormal Termination of Stage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

alwhitford
Participant

Abnormal Termination of Stage

Post by alwhitford »

G'day Guys,

Ive run a job which aborted and informed me of an abnormal terminate in stage xyz.

I reset the job and got the following information in the log

From previous run
DataStage Job 8751 Phantom 21938
Abnormal termination of DataStage.
Fault type is 11. Layer type is BASIC run machine.
Fault occurred in BASIC program DSD.Update at address 1c8

Any ideas on this one would be greatly appreciated

cheers

Aaron
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Please describe what your job is trying to do. Include stage types, databases involved, etc. If you have any before/after job/stage routine calls, or use any user-written functions.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
alwhitford
Participant

Post by alwhitford »

The job is taking a sequential file running it a pair of transforms, the first being used as a constraint record filter, the second to insert into a oracle 9 database table.

There is 1 user-written function involved which places values into a key relationship table. This function is used in a multitude of other jobs without error.

Immeditely prior to the abnormal termination error we had an attempt to insert a null into the destination table, but that was expected.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Is your warnings limit for the job, or for your rejected rows output link (assuming you have one) set to 1 ?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
alwhitford
Participant

Post by alwhitford »

No it is set to 50
mhester
Participant

Post by mhester »

Based on your error message I'm going to guess that your issue is within your user written subroutine. This error might occur for many different reasons and without seeing the actual code it would be too hard to tell you where to look.

Regards,
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I can't agree; the fault was reported from DSD.Update, which is one of "theirs". :shock:

Are you trying to stuff too many characters into an output column (for example 14 characters into a CHAR(12), or more than 10 digits into an INTEGER)? Are you trying to update a not null column with NULL ?
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
jacal
Participant

Post by jacal »

Hello,

I have here this same problem in DataStage version 7.0.1.
In my job, I removed all my OCI stages. This means, that now I just read and write sequential files (one of 2282660 lines for input and another one for ouput) with no transformer in the middle (my input file has 1,7 GB).

Well, I am also suspecting about the construction of the input file. It was created by 3 transformers (appending one after the other). I just modified the job to execute a UNIX "cat" command in the Before-Stage.

I'm running now this job.

Best regards,
Rui Moito
alwhitford
Participant

Post by alwhitford »

Thanks for all your suggestions guys.

We found that the transform stage in the middle of the job was tripping up over some of the data records and suspect that when cloning the job something internal happened to the transform stage in question.

We have subsequently changed the process by pre-loading our key lookups into a hash file, this flows through to the transform which we re-built and the whole thing seems to work fine now.

Regards

Aaron
jacal
Participant

Post by jacal »

Hello,

my job ended now OK. I had only changed my job to make overwrite of my 3 sequential files (then I execute a cat comand) and now it's OK.

I think it was as well as you said, that it was only "something internal happened". :)

Well, bye for now.

See you,
Rui Moito
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Your previous description of your job made no mention of three sequential files. If it had, we could probably have resolved the issue more quickly.

[To everyone] It is vital that you describe accurately and as completely as possible any error messages and job designs when asked. Otherwise diagnosis is very difficult indeed.