Oracle 7.0

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ranga1970
Participant

Oracle 7.0

Post by ranga1970 »

Guys we need to full data from Oracle source 7.0, our team believes that DS 7 does not support Oracle 7.0, could some one suggest please but the catch other teams are using same server box to full data from oracle 8 and oracle 9,
some one suggested ODBC but it still doent work, We dont want to go for flat file and ftp, last option is using DS 6, could some suggest and discuss cons and pros about above options and situation
thanks in advance :roll:
RRCHINTALA
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I'm pretty sure you are correct, support for Oracle 7.x has officially been dropped by pretty much everyone, including Oracle. :wink: That doesn't necessarily mean it can't be made to work, however.

First off, what version of Oracle 7 are you running, exactly? The 'normal' ODBC drivers are supposed to work for Oracle 7.3.4 and higher, however the wire drivers do require version 8 or higher, from what I remember. Which one did you try? How do they 'not work'?

If your server is already pulling data from Oracle 8i and Oracle 9i database, have you just tried connecting back to your 7 database with one of the OCI stages - like OCI8? I'd at least give that a shot and see what happens. I'd also be curious what client you have as your default client on your server - are you using the 8i or the 9i client right now?
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
shawn_ramsey
Participant

Re: Oracle 7.0

Post by shawn_ramsey »

We are currently running 7.5 under windows with the Oracle 8.1.7 client installed and going after data from an Oracle 7.3.4 database using the Oracle 8 native stage. We are not having any problems because the SQL*Net client can connect to the older server. In addition you will need to watch the SQL that is generated to ensure that it is compatible with the 7 syntax. I am not too sure about 7.0 but I would give it a try.
Shawn Ramsey

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
-- Douglas Adams
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Oracle 8 client works with 7,8, and 9. Oracle 9 client works only with 8 and 9. The Oracle 8 client seems to be the best choice given your requirements, so therefore the Oracle 8 plugin is your DataStage requirement. Note: Oracle 9 cannot use a dblink to Oracle 7, it's not supported. So, there's no support for 7 if using 9 anything.

So, the DataStage plugin and the client software have to be the same version, but the database does not.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
rasi
Participant

Post by rasi »

If you still can't make the Oracle client working with the existing environment. Then the best solution is to use SQL Loader/Export to dump the data from Oracle 7 and use this as your source. In this you don't have to change your job when you switch your version to 8 or 9.

Thanks
Siva