connection issues

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

NEO
Premium Member
Premium Member

connection issues

Post by NEO »

I have been getting this problem with DB2.
[IBM][CLI Driver] SQL30082N Attempt to establish connection failed with security reason "17" ("UNSUPPORTED FUNCTION"). SQLSTATE=08001

I wonder if its something to do with the encryption. I pass my username and password from the parameters of a Job sequencer and it gives me the above error in my job log. then I just retype my password before running the job, it works fine.
Does anyone know how to fix this and why its happening?
Thanks,
vinnz
Participant

Post by vinnz »

Here's whats in the DB2 Documentation ..

SQL30082N Attempt to establish connection failed with security reason "<reason-code>" ("<reason-string>").

Explanation: The attempt to connect to the remote database server was rejected due to invalid or incorrect security information.

17 (UNSUPPORTED FUNCTION)
the security mechanism specified by the client is invalid for this server. Some typical examples:
The client sent a new password value to a server that does not support the DRDA change password function.
The client sent DCE authentication information to a server that does not support DCE.
The client sent SERVER_ENCRYPT or DCS_ENCRYPT authentication information to a server that does not support password encryption.
The client sent a userid (but no password) to a server that does not support authentication by userid only.

Are you sure the correct password is being sent the first time?
NEO
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by NEO »

vinnz wrote:Here's whats in the DB2 Documentation ..

SQL30082N Attempt to establish connection failed with security reason "<reason-code>" ("<reason-string>").

Explanation: The attempt to connect to the remote database server was rejected due to invalid or incorrect security information.

17 (UNSUPPORTED FUNCTION)
the security mechanism specified by the client is invalid for this server. Some typical examples:
The client sent a new password value to a server that does not support the DRDA change password function.
The client sent DCE authentication information to a server that does not support DCE.
The client sent SERVER_ENCRYPT or DCS_ENCRYPT authentication information to a server that does not support password encryption.
The client sent a userid (but no password) to a server that does not support authentication by userid only.

Are you sure the correct password is being sent the first time?
I have seen the same in the DB2 help online. But I am not sure how any of the above scenarios are encountered. I am assuming, that if a copy of the job is made, then for some reason the encrypted parameter doesnt seem to work. Its definetely not the case of it being a wrong password, coz I would be locked out in multiple runs. It would give me an Invalid username/Password error if the wrong password is being sent. I am doing some more testing and trying to get to the bottom of it. Will post the results when I am done. If someone else already went through the whole process, do post them. Thanks for the above information though.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

There's a long-standing bug with encrypted passwords and sequence jobs. For Oracle, you end up with a 'null password' error as noted in this older post.

I'm assuming you are running into the same issue.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
NEO
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by NEO »

chulett wrote:There's a long-standing bug with encrypted passwords and sequence jobs. For Oracle, you end up with a 'null password' error as noted in this older post.

I'm assuming you are running into the same issue.
Sure seems to be a bug from what I have seen so far. Password set as a string works perfectly fine. But that would beat the whole purpose :)