How to interface SAP R3 with DataStage 7x tool

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Gaurav.Dave
Premium Member
Premium Member

How to interface SAP R3 with DataStage 7x tool

Post by Gaurav.Dave »

Hello Gurus,

Can anyone tell me how to take data directly from SAP R/3 using DataStage 7x tool? and what are the pros & cons??

In my last project, we had seperate source systems which provide data from SAP into flat files. Then we designed ETL taking this flat file as source system. It was simple.

I would really appriciate your help.

Thanks,

Gaurav
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard! :D

The answer is to use a specialized plug-in (= optionally installed) stage that generates ABAP code and uses either RFC or FTP to get that code executed within SAP R/3.

Talk to your supplier about the "SAP Extract PACK", which contains the requisite stage types. There is an additional charge for this, mainly to cover the fact that it's licensed by SAP AG and certified as generating legal ABAP code.

You can find out more about SAP connectivity on the Ascential web site

The other strategy is the one you used previously; to have SAP dump "reports" in flat file format and process these with DataStage.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Gaurav.Dave
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Gaurav.Dave »

Ray,

Thanks a lot for your quick reply.

I am just gaining knowledge from surfing different website about this issue. If I am not mistaking, the RFC (remote function call) is needed when we want real time integration. Otherwise we can use regular FTP stage.

One related question. If I use RFC, what parameters I need to define (as for example server name, database name, table name while extracting data from other databases like orcale, db2 etc.) while extracting data from SAP?

Gaurav
PilotBaha
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by PilotBaha »

Gaurav,
I am in the same boat as you are in terms of using SAP with DS. (Or is it the other way around?) :)

There is a document titled "Ascential PACK for SAP R/3". You will be able to get most of your answers in there. The file name is dsR3.pdf that I have been going through it for last 2 days and it's pretty intense.

Hope this helps..

Baha
Gaurav.Dave
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Gaurav.Dave »

Baha,

Thanks for your help!!

Gaurav
rsrikant
Participant

Post by rsrikant »

Hello Baha,

Can you please mail me the document dsR3.pdf to my email id
rsrikant@gmail.com.

Thanks in advance.
Srikanth
ArndW
Participant

Post by ArndW »

Hello Gaurav,

since SAP demands absolute control over the database and access, it is usually not a good idea to directly read it's tables using DataStage or any other tool. The SAP R/3 extract pack lets you use RFCs, the official BAPIs as well as IDOCs to get data. All of these have their distinct advantages (and disadvantages) depending upon which data you need from SAP. Because of the software layers that SAP has, some of these transfers can be quite slow; and inserts into SAP can take a long time (i.e. inserting a new customer might take 1-2 seconds per customer, since in the background SAP needs to create many, many screens and do it's validation).
mail2hfz
Premium Member
Premium Member

mail the document

Post by mail2hfz »

Hello Baha

Can you please mail me the document dsR3.pdf to my email id
mail2hfz@yahoo.com
mail2hfz
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mail2hfz »

hi Baha

where can i find document "ascential pack for SAP R/3"
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

These manuals are shipped with the SAP PACK from the vendor. If you have the SAP PACKS (and therefore the plug-in stages) you also have the manuals. If you don't have the software the manuals are not going to be much help, because they explain how to use the stages. Incidentally, there is another PACK for dealing with SAP BW.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
saikrishna
Participant

Post by saikrishna »

Hi Baha

Can you pls mail me SAP stage documentation to my id saikrishna.konda@gmail.com

Thanks in Advance
Sai
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

We do not - can not, according to out licensing agreements with IBM - ship or otherwise redistribute material in which IBM owns intellectual property. Most of their manuals can be had for the asking, or for a small fee, in electronic form. Contact your DataStage reseller.