Working with holidays and not working days

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

gpbarsky
Participant

Working with holidays and not working days

Post by gpbarsky »

Hi my friends.....

I need to make some operations (add, subtract) using days, but I must consider working days and not working days.

Does anybody know if there are functions in DS in order to get the "holiday status" of a given date ?

And besides, I need this function to take into account that for adding a number of days, it should consider that in the middle it may exist several not working days.

Example: let us calculate a given Thursday plus 5 days.

If the addition is using calendar days, the result is the next Tuesday.

If the addition is using working and not working days, the result is the next Thursday.

Am I clear what I need ?

Thanks in advance.
Guillermo P. Barsky
Buenos Aires - Argentina
ogmios
Participant

Re: Working with holidays and not working days

Post by ogmios »

The default "Kimbalistic reply" for the holiday status of a day is to use a date table and join on that to get your holidays. Holidays differ per country, so there's never going to be a general magic function to calculate it all.

Ogmios
Last edited by ogmios on Wed Oct 13, 2004 12:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In theory there's no difference between theory and practice. In practice there is.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Business days differential is really easy to do. When you setup your time dimension, you have to have a column that is the total number of business days since day #1.

For example, your first date in the time dimension has the value 1. The next business day has the value 2. Keep assigning the value as you chronologically scan the table. By physically recording the elapsed days since day one, you can take the values on two rows and subtract them. This gives you the number of business days between.

Simply expand your time dimension to hold this extra column.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle
gpbarsky
Participant

Post by gpbarsky »

Ken:

I'm sorry, but I really didn't understand what you explained me. Could you give me an example ?
Guillermo P. Barsky
Buenos Aires - Argentina
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

Build a Time dimension table as Kimball recommends. Have a column that is BusinessDayIndicator and set it to 1 on all appropriate days. For days that are holidays you'll want a holiday indicator as well.

Add another column to contain the integer number of business days since days 1. Call it something like 'BusinessDayIndex'.

Select all rows from your time dimension, where BusinessDayIndicator = 1, order by the date ascending. Assign the rownumber to the BusinessDayIndex.

Now, anytime you need to know the number of business days elapsed between two dates, simply do two joins to your time dimension using your different dates (use 2 aliases to your time dimension). Subtract the BusinessDayIndex value from both returned rows and you will have the number of business days elapsed.
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle