Sql Server & ODBC LInked Server Column definitions

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

larryoceanview
Participant

Sql Server & ODBC LInked Server Column definitions

Post by larryoceanview »

I want to import a linked server to microsoft access files table definition.

I think i need to pass a query to get the info I desire since the linked server is not accessed through a database. This doesn't seem to be an option through import odbc.

select * from access_data...tbldebatequestions.

Any ideas or suggestions are welcome! :idea:

Thanks,
shawn_ramsey
Participant

Re: Sql Server & ODBC LInked Server Column definitions

Post by shawn_ramsey »

Why not create a view on the SQL Server database that does the query to the linked table. Once you have imported the metadata you can drop the view and use the fully qualified (4 part name) in the ODBC generated SQL. Better yet leave the view and use it for the ETL.
Shawn Ramsey

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
-- Douglas Adams
larryoceanview
Participant

Re: Sql Server & ODBC LInked Server Column definitions

Post by larryoceanview »

shawn_ramsey wrote:Why not create a view on the SQL Server database that does the query to the linked table. Once you have imported the metadata you can drop the view and use the fully qualified (4 part name) in the ODBC generated SQL. Better yet leave the view and use it for the ETL.
If I was allowed to create it myself I would, but I would first have to go through the Dba's. If I have 10 - 20 tables in one linked mdf, I would first have to put in a request to create select * stored procedures for all my tables. It has been a hassle just getting the support setting up the linked server. Is there any other way?