Sources and objects

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

gpbarsky
Participant

Sources and objects

Post by gpbarsky »

Hola mis amigos.....

I want to know how can I check if a given object is corresponding to the source with the same name.

This is because for accessing SAP, and by security reasons, people from versioning, when I have to make a cutover into production environment, must enter the Designer and modify the access to SAP: IP address, user, password, etc.. Then, they have to compile the job.

How can I discover itf they forget compiling ?

Thanks in advance.
Guillermo P. Barsky
Buenos Aires - Argentina
ogmios
Participant

Re: Sources and objects

Post by ogmios »

I would do a recompile all :wink:

If you're still in development phase I would seriously consider putting your arguments in e.g. a sequential file and read the file in via a BASIC job passing the IP address, ... as an argument. There is ever going to be a time when the server needs to get a new IP address... and if you then hardcoded your IP address... :cry:

It may be a little bit more work upfront... but it will save you tons of hours later on.

Ogmios
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Surely all these variable pieces of information can be set up as job parameters? Then there is no need for any opening of the job design; you can have the job read-only in production (always recommended).

Change the default parameter values - if desired - using Director.

(I tend to recommend to clients that default connectivity parameters in a production environment, other than for the main controller, should not work. This offers maximum security, requiring - at the very least - that anyone "fiddling" be able to enter a valid password.)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.