Connectivity to AS/400 System

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ksmurthys
Participant

Connectivity to AS/400 System

Post by ksmurthys »

Hi all,

Is there any way i can conncet to AS/400 using datastage ODBC satge? If possible pls let me know how to connect(what r all parameters we set).

Thanks,
Ram.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

There's nothing special about DataStage.
You configure the ODBC driver information exactly the same way that you would for any other ODBC client.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ashcar
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by ashcar »

ray.wurlod wrote:There's nothing special about DataStage.
You configure the ODBC driver information exactly the same way that you would for any other ODBC client.
this is a different question ...
but how do i make connection to db2 on AS400 with datastage on windows server
bcos i cannot initialize the db2 plugin for importing metadata and using the db2 stage
s_r_chandru
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by s_r_chandru »

Hi,
First you need to to Install Db2 Connect(Which Communicates to AS400).After that you have to Catalog your Database
Following is the Syntax to do it:
1.CATALOG TCPIP NODE <yournodename> REMOTE <IpaddressofAS400> SERVER <portnumberofserver>
2.CATALOG DB <databasename> AS <databasealiasname> AT NODE <yournodename>
Once this is Done you can view you cataloged Database connection in your Db2 Metadata Plugin
-Chandru
ashcar
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by ashcar »

my customer does not have db2 connect ....and i read in ascential db2 plugin doc that client application enabler has to be installed ...can u tell me if i need db2 connect also after CAE
Mike
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Mike »

I think DB2 Connect is the middleware that provides the CAE. If your client isn't willing to buy DB2 Connect, you will have to use ODBC to access DB2, and the wire protocol drivers supplied with DataStage would probably be your best choice.

Mike
shawn_ramsey
Participant

Post by shawn_ramsey »

We are using the IBM iSeries Access for Windows software. From what the AS/400 folks have told me comes with the AS/400 OS installation. On that disk there are several free components, one of them being the ODBC and OLEDB drivers. I am not an expert on the AS/400 but I believe that there is also a subsystem (service) on the AS/400 that needs to be configured.
Shawn Ramsey

"It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes."
-- Douglas Adams
ksmurthys
Participant

Post by ksmurthys »

Hi,
We created ODBC DSN for AS/400 system on datastage server,I tried to connect AS/400 by using this DSN i am getting the following error:
DSR.MetaGeta: Cannot read result file DS_METATEMP record METAGETA-4584 from GetMetaData.Could anybody know what that error means??

Thanks,
Ram.
shiv_nm
Participant

Install IBM i-Series in client pc for 32-bit ODBC driver

Post by shiv_nm »

Hi,
As per my knowledge you can install IBM i-Series what ever the version is, then you will get 32-bit ODBC Driver with it. Go to Administrator tools in setting control pannel and create a new system DSN using this 32 -bit driver.
Parameters are IP address, user name and password and Library list.

hope this will help for you.

gud luck
Shiv
lpadrta
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by lpadrta »

The IBM iSeries Access for Windows (previously called Client Access) software must be installed on the iSeries and on the DataStage Server. There is a package for each and the versions need to agree. Your local iSeries support team should be able to help with that.

Once the IBM iSeries Access for Windows is installed on your DataStage server, you can go to ODBC adminstration on the server and set up a named ODBC connection, and usually default values will work OK to get you hooked up.

Then set up the job using the source/target for the ODBC name you gave it on the server. Should be pretty straightforward from there.
Nagaraj
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nagaraj »

Can any body please confirm,

Do i have to install the iseries access software on the Datastage Server(Unix) but the name says "iseries access for windows" ,
Just the ODBC way would do to connect to iseries access on datastage.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The original question had DataStage server installed on Windows, therefore iSeries for Windows was the correct client. It would not be appropriate to install this client on a UNIX server. But there is certain to be some other client component (such as DB2 Connect) that you could use. The ODBC driver for DB2 (from Data Direct) that ships with DataStage should then be able to connect to the iSeries from UNIX.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ppgoml
Participant

Post by ppgoml »

Nagaraj wrote:Can any body please confirm,

Do i have to install the iseries access software on the Datastage Server(Unix) but the name says "iseries access for windows" ,
Just the ODBC way would do to connect to iseries access on datastage.
There is an unix version of iseries access for odbc, but I am not sure if it is compatible with DataDirect ODBC driver manager. I am sure that it's compatible with unixODBC driver manager. Datastage could work with other odbc driver managers besides DataDirect. so theoretically, we can use iseries access for odbc to access as400 db2 with datastage. I havn't got a chance to have a try yet, and you need to verify it yourself.
rameshrr3
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by rameshrr3 »

yes install the odbc drivers on datastage server . The iSeries Client is optional.

I connect to As/400 using either ODBC or OLE-DB providers, since we dont really have a license for DB2 Connect
Nagaraj
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by Nagaraj »

what do you mean " install the odbc drivers on datastage server "

>>> The ODBC drivers gets installed when you do the IS 8.1 install on the server,correct?

do i have to install separate ODBC drivers.