How to handle CLOB(Character Large Object)

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dilip
Participant

How to handle CLOB(Character Large Object)

Post by dilip »

I have a requirement to use CLOB datatype in Oracle(ORAOCI 8.0) using DataStage 6.0. Let me know how to configure the ORAOCI stage to support this datatype.
lebos
Participant

Post by lebos »

You can't. At least not with 7.1.

You're only choice that I am aware of is to use an ODBC stage instead of the OCI stage.

Larry
dilip
Participant

How to handle CLOB in ODBC stage

Post by dilip »

lebos wrote:You can't. At least not with 7.1.

You're only choice that I am aware of is to use an ODBC stage instead of the OCI stage.

Larry
how to configure it in ODBC Stage. which datatype i should choose to support a CLOB object.
ogmios
Participant

Re: How to handle CLOB in ODBC stage

Post by ogmios »

CLOB is not supported, if you want to use CLOBS use their handle and process them outside of DataStage.

What would you want DataStage to do besides moving the CLOB from file to database or database to database?

Ogmios
lebos
Participant

Post by lebos »

In our case we are using DS to convert from Sybase to Oracle. The Sybase text fields and the Oracle column are both defined in DataStage as LongVarChar with a length of 2147483647. In the Oracle (9i) database it is defined as CLOB. ODBC is used both to read the Sybase table and to write the Oracle table.

This certainly works doing a straight copy. I have not tried to do any kind of transform on it.

Larry
denzilsyb
Participant

Post by denzilsyb »

lebos wrote:In our case we are using DS to convert from Sybase to Oracle.
Have you looked into proxy tables from Sybase DB side for this kind of transfer? It might be worth looking into.
dnzl
"what the thinker thinks, the prover proves" - Robert Anton Wilson
lebos
Participant

Post by lebos »

The client's DBA's (I am a contractor) do not want to use proxies for this. They have actually settled on DataStage as the preferred way to get things done unless there is an over riding reason why something else would be better. I have even converted Unix shell scripts (with isql or sqlplus) in them to DataStage.

Larry