oracle DB access from DS subroutines

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ratikmishra1
Charter Member
Charter Member

oracle DB access from DS subroutines

Post by ratikmishra1 »

How would you access oracle DB from a DS subroutine/batch. I need to log onto oracle and execute a select statement and get the records using a loop, then write out the records to a sequential file. Need to do all this in the Batch job.

Note: I dont want to use shell exits. Would like to use some lib routines to accomplish this.
tonystark622
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by tonystark622 »

Why don't you just do it in a DataStage job?

Tony
ratikmishra1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by ratikmishra1 »

tonystark622 wrote:Why don't you just do it in a DataStage job?

Tony
I can. But it is messy. Like use OCI/ODBC to get the thing into a file. Then read the file to get the values into varaiables. Would like to do it directly in the batch/subroutine so the code would be lot cleaner/reusuable.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The "lib" routines are those in the DataStage BASIC SQL Client Interface (BCI). They mimic programming using the ODBC API. Search the Forum for BCI.

To use these requires that you have a licensed ODBC driver for connecting to your Oracle (or other) database. The drivers shipped with DataStage are not licensed to use the BCI functions.

The preferred approach, where you don't have the budget for ODBC drivers, is to have your script execute a DataStage job to perform the extraction to a sequential file, then read the results from if you want to.

Either way, this is NOT the kind of processing you'd want to do from a transform function; your throughput rates would be abysmal.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ratikmishra1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by ratikmishra1 »

ray.wurlod wrote:The "lib" routines are those in the DataStage BASIC SQL Client Interface (BCI). They mimic programming using the ODBC API. Search the Forum for BCI.

To use these requires that you have a licensed ODBC driver for connecting to your Oracle (or other) database. The drivers shipped with DataStage are not licensed to use the BCI functions.

The preferred approach, where you don't have the budget for ODBC drivers, is to have your script execute a DataStage job to perform the extraction to a sequential file, then read the results from if you want to.

Either way, this is NOT the kind of processing you'd want to do from a transform function; your throughput rates would be abysmal.
Thanks Ray for your reply. Is there any place where I can get help on the BCI routines. I did not find the any info in Ascential docs.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

At the TCL prompt, type HELP BCI.

You can download the BASIC SQL Client Interface manual from IBM.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ratikmishra1
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by ratikmishra1 »

ray.wurlod wrote:At the TCL prompt, type HELP BCI.

You can download the BASIC SQL Client Interface manual from IBM.
You have been of great help Ray. Thanks a lot.
ray.wurlod
Participant

WARNING

Post by ray.wurlod »

You will develop your routine, and it will work.

After 30 days from first use, it will stop working.

At this point, you will need to pay money to license your ODBC driver.

This is not money to Ascential; this is money to the driver vendor.

If you're not prepared to go this route, don't even start developing using BCI functions.

You have been warned.
datastage
Participant

Re: WARNING

Post by datastage »

ray.wurlod wrote:You will develop your routine, and it will work.

After 30 days from first use, it will stop working.

At this point, you will need to pay money to license your ODBC driver.

This is not money to Ascential; this is money to the driver vendor.

If you're not prepared to go this route, don't even start developing using BCI functions.

You have been warned.

Ray, you sound like the Oracle from The Matrix Trilogy. Your post is very prophetic.
Byron Paul
WARNING: DO NOT OPERATE DATASTAGE WITHOUT ADULT SUPERVISION.

"Strange things are afoot in the reject links" - from Bill & Ted's DataStage Adventure
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

:lol: Sit down. Have a cookie.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
mandyli
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mandyli »

You will use DSJOBREPORT DS routine in after job routine for capturing log information in the file.