Identifying Stages that Populate DB2 Tables

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

fridge
Premium Member
Premium Member

Identifying Stages that Populate DB2 Tables

Post by fridge »

I am interested in writing some code that would run against a project and tell me which DS jobs update DB2 tables/fields. Looking at the help screens it looks like the function DSGetprojectInfo/Stage Info and DSJ.Joblist is a starting point. Is it possible to identify stages that load DB2 tables and from there extract the relevant table names and field attributes? Such Metadata would then be held out in a flat file and loaded into a DB2 table itself.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
ogmios
Participant

Re: Identifying Stages that Populate DB2 Tables

Post by ogmios »

The easiest would be to export your jobs to XML format and write a small parse in java or perl to extract your tables.

Ogmios
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

You could also use MetaStage and the Reporting Assistant. Do a search there have been other posts on this.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If you do write something, make sure it finds any ODBC stage that is writing to a DB2 DSN.

It's not good enough to assert that there aren't any; you can't prevent someone from creating one. Your utility must be able to handle it.

And then there's OLEDB...
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

As Kim suggests I would use the Reporting Assistant for this. Dump your project data into the reporting Access database, write a query against this database against the DSSTAGES table which can be filtered on StageType to give you the right stages and can show things like TargetFileName and DataSourceName so you can find out where specific tables are used.
chucksmith
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by chucksmith »

Use my List all files and tables used by jobs in a dsx file . You can find it on the DataStage Tools page of www.anotheritco.com.

The input to the tools is a DataStage export file. Just export all job designs only.