vpn access from DataStage

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pkl
Participant

vpn access from DataStage

Post by pkl »

Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to establish a VPN connection thru DataStage.

Thanks
Preethi
dhiraj
Participant

Post by dhiraj »

Preethi,

Do you mean you want to connect to a remote datastage server/file server using VPN?

IF so then you have to first eshtablish a VPN tunnel from your machine or Network to the remote server. This has to be done in the firewall and not in datastage. Once the VPN tunnel is up you can access the remote server by specifying it's ip address.

Dhiraj
lax1996
Participant

Re: vpn access from DataStage

Post by lax1996 »

pkl wrote:Hi All,

Can anyone tell me if there is a way to establish a VPN connection thru DataStage.

Thanks
Preethi
Yes you can connect to Datastage server thru VPN. First connect to the office network using the VPN connection and then every thing is same as how you connect ot datastage server from office system
pkl
Participant

Post by pkl »

Hi,

Thanku very much for replying.

I'm sorry for not telling the exact scenario.

I wud like to be able to ftp the files via a VPN setup of the server where I want to do the ftp from. I know that we have a ftp plugin in DS but I was just wondering abt the VPN connection.

Thanx
Preethi
neena
Participant

Post by neena »

VPN AND FTP ARE TWO DIFFERENT PIECES.

VPN MAKES THE CONNECTION BETWEEN TWO REMOTE SYSTEMS,

FTP TAKES CARE OF MOVING THE FILES ON THAT CONNECTION.

BEFORE COMING TO THE DATASTAGE YOU NEED TO START A VPN CONNECTION / SERVICE . THEN DO FTP WORK WITH DATASTAGE .

HTH
NEENA
pkl
Participant

Post by pkl »

Hi Neena,

Thankyou very much. That was what I wanted to find out whether we can make a VPN connection with any of the DataStage plugins or dp we have to establish a VPN before and then FTP the files.

Now I have the answer. Thankyou so much.

Preethi
neena
Participant

Post by neena »

We use to use this in my last project in Dallas.
We use to connect to client's servers in CO throgh VPN and then logon to the datastage server that is reciding in clients place.
We have only DS client with us and SERVER is at remote location.
First we connect to that server by establishing a contact through VPN and then we will log into datastage on that remote server.

If you connect to VPN your local intranet settings on your system will be overrided by the VPN settings .. Some times you can see your company email system also slow. or diconnected when you are connected to VPN.

Please post if you have any more questions on this.
Thanks
Neena
pkl
Participant

Post by pkl »

Hi Neena,

Thanx once again. I appreciate your help. I'll try it out and post if I have any issue with that.

Thanx a lot