create new system variable?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

datastage
Participant

create new system variable?

Post by datastage »

I know the provied system @variables are read-only, but I was curious if there is any way to create your own @variables that will show up in the ... menu for system variable...

Thanks
Byron Paul
WARNING: DO NOT OPERATE DATASTAGE WITHOUT ADULT SUPERVISION.

"Strange things are afoot in the reject links" - from Bill & Ted's DataStage Adventure
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

The @USER1,2,3 ... are not read only. They are available only during one connection so if a job splits into mutiple connections then the values are not shared like you think.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You have @USER0 thorough @USER4 and @USER.RETURN.CODE as writable system variables. They are all local to a process; that is, they do not have scope between processes.

To get them to show up in the Expression Editor's drop-down list, edit the DSParams file on the server (this is entirely legal to do) and add those variables to the System Variables section.

One mechanism for transferring information between processes is the job's "user status area". Research this in on-line help: DSSetUserStatus and DSGetJobInfo.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.