How do you perform testing of jobs

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

babbu9
Premium Member
Premium Member

How do you perform testing of jobs

Post by babbu9 »

Hi
I woud like to know how one performs testing of the jobs created with DS. What kinds of testing can be done and how?
Please inform.
Bob
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

We usually go for unit testing (development team), system testing, system integration testing, performance testing (test team) and user acceptance testing (user representatives).

It is important to run against "real" data and real data volumes or as well as creating specific test scenarios. On one project we had business users create and maintain test data in Excel spreadsheets and we had a DataStage jobs to extract this data into real source files for regression testing.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

In other words, not really all that different from testing anything else. There's nothing magical about it just because it's a DataStage job. :wink:
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Regression Testing

Post by ray.wurlod »

I'll add one more to Vincent's list, for more mature projects into their maintenance cycle, and that is regression testing. Regression testing can simplistically be described as testing that proves changes haven't broken anything else.

There is a wide-open marketplace out there (not just in DataStage) for anyone with skills in QA, particularly taking pains to ensure that all - or, more realistically, all possible - bases are covered. Being extremely cynical is a distinct advantage. Designing test data is a fascinating sub-genre.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.