Sequence parameters

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

marc_brown98
Premium Member
Premium Member

Sequence parameters

Post by marc_brown98 »

I have a relative file path name that I want to pass from a sequence to a job in the sequence. I can't get this to work. For example,
I have d:\data\Prod\FDM\JobParmsSeq as a parameter called PARM_FILE.

I have 2 environment variables called:
$SeqPath = d:\data
$DataEnviron = Prod or Test

and what I would like to do is have the following for PARM_FILE:
#$SeqPath#\#$DataEnviron#\FDM\JobParmsSeq

Any suggestions?
TIA
Marc
ketfos
Participant

Post by ketfos »

Hi,
You can define these parameters in Job Control Properties and then pass them

#SeqPath#\#DataEnviron#\FDM\JobParmsSeq

Ketfos
marc_brown98
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by marc_brown98 »

still can't get it to work. the log message from taking my initial run and the suggestion:
FMFEXDCRSEQ..JobControl (GetFDMParam): Unable to open #$SeqPath#\#$DataEnviron#\FDM\JobParmsSeq

FMFEXDCRSEQ..JobControl (GetFDMParam): Unable to open #SeqPath#\#DataEnviron#\FDM\JobParmsSeq

same result. I am trying to find out how to combine multiple parameters and assign the result to another parameter.
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

marc_brown98 wrote:I am trying to find out how to combine multiple parameters and assign the result to another parameter.
Perhaps that's the issue, because you can't. :wink: Well, at least you can't without writing some intervening BASIC job control code.

You would need to pull in the values for the current parameters and then build a new parameter value by concatenating them together yourself. Then you can use the result as a single parameter.

Bottom line is you simply can't reference other parameters in a parameters default value, which is what I took your comment to mean.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ketfos
Participant

Post by ketfos »

Hi,
I have a sequencer job. In the Wait for File Activity Stage, I need to define the input file name.
I pass this file name as combination of parameters, the way you mentioned

#Seqpath#/#Devenv#/test.dne .....this is on unix

In the job properties - job control, define this two parameters as string.

Ketfos
marc_brown98
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by marc_brown98 »

chulett wrote:
marc_brown98 wrote:I am trying to find out how to combine multiple parameters and assign the result to another parameter.
Perhaps that's the issue, because you can't. :wink: Well, at least you can't without writing some intervening BASIC job control code.

You would need to pull in the values for the current parameters and then build a new parameter value by concatenating them together yourself. Then you can use the result as a single parameter.

Bottom line is you simply can't reference other parameters in a parameters default value, which is what I took your comment to mean.
Thanks that's what I thought would have to happen.