Please, HELP

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ogmios
Participant

Re: Please, HELP

Post by ogmios »

From the computer on which you run DataStage server, execute "tnsping oracleid" as the user under which you run the datastage jobs.

Possible causes:
- general changes in the environment (no ORACLE_HOME defined anymore)
- wrong access rights on the oracle files
- something wrong with the Oracle server

Ogmios
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

ORACLE_HOME needs to be set in dsenv file in order for Oracle plugins to work. The Oracle client needs to working properly as well. If you cannot connect with sqlplus then DataStage cannot connect either.
Mamu Kim
rreyespe
Participant

Post by rreyespe »

The Oracle client work perfectly, I can connect with SqlPlus. But where is th dsenv file?
ogmios
Participant

Post by ogmios »

rreyespe wrote:The Oracle client work perfectly
You have to be able to use the Oracle client on the server WITH the userid you use to run your jobs. dsenv is somewhere in the `cat /.dshome`

Ogmios
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Check, too, that the TNSNAMES.ORA file is in the expected location and readable.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rreyespe
Participant

Post by rreyespe »

the TNSNAMES is also in the correct place and readable
sandhya
Participant

Post by sandhya »

Is the service name available in your TNSNAMES
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The dsenv file is a script executed by all DataStage processes, principally to set necessary environment variables. The file is in the DataStage engine directory which, at version 7.x, is defined using the DSHOME environment variable. The file /.dshome may also exist, depending whether or not you're running in impersonation mode: if it does, it contains the pathname of the DataStage engine directory.
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
rreyespe
Participant

Post by rreyespe »

Yes the service name is available
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Because dsenv is a shell script, order of execution is unimportant. Put the commands anywhere you want.
Bourne shell syntax is preferred (I've forgotten why).

Code: Select all

ORACLE_HOME=pathname ; export ORACLE_HOME
Don't forget that there are no spaces beside the "=" character when setting environment variables. (They're mandatory in uvodbc.config, isn't it great to have consistency?!)
leo_t_nice
Participant

Post by leo_t_nice »

Hi

dsenv is usually found in $DSHOME/../DSEngine
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In Windows environment variables can be set in Control Panel > System > Environment.
They can also be set using DataStage Administrator, in the "user defined environment variables" section (on both platforms).
ariear
Participant

Post by ariear »

If I remember correctly there's no DSENV on windows and you're on windows right ?
The ORACLE environment is all in the registry (even ORACLE_HOME)
I don't remember how 2 ORACLE clients can co-exist and function on the same client host . sometime the oracle client can be installed even on another remote host and the re-boot lost the connection or something like that