Definition of a "broken file"

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

lacabessa
Participant

Definition of a "broken file"

Post by lacabessa »

Hi,

Could you anyone explain to me please what is a "broken hashed file".

thanks
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

In what context? :? I would think that 'broken' equates to 'corrupted', but I'd be curious where you saw this phrase.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Broken is corrupt on a certain level. A hash file is broken down into groups of records. The way Universe deals with these records there are linked list at a very low level. One record points to the start of the next record or the end of itself depending how you want to look at it. Normally when a hash file become broken or unuseable these links point to some place outside what the OS says is the end of the file. UVFIXFILE can repair these but sometimes will lose a record because it cannot figure out where it started. It can also lose all the records in the group from that point forward. UVFIXFILE is not as safe as some might think. Most of us have ways to rebuild any hash file so it is not an issue. If this hash file is DS_JOBOBJECTS or one of its indexes then it is a more serious problem.
Mamu Kim
lacabessa
Participant

Thanks

Post by lacabessa »

Thanks guys. Yes kduke that clarified things for me.

Have a nice day