How to put Plugin in Project Template

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

lgharis
Premium Member
Premium Member

How to put Plugin in Project Template

Post by lgharis »

I installed a Plugin (new version of MQ Series) into all projects on a server using dspackinst. When I create a new project it picks up the old version of the plugin. How can I update the Project Template so that new projects that are created will have the new plugin version?
Leroy Gharis

Dallas, TX
chulett
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by chulett »

I'd suggest going back and re-doing this using the Server installation / upgrade methodology rather than by using the package installer. Just found this in the 7.5 Release Notes:
If the installation program detects plug-ins that were installed at a previous release, it upgrades them automatically. If the installation program cannot detect plug-ins that were installed (this is typically because they have been installed by the 'dspackinst' command rather than by the server installation program) these plug-ins will not be upgraded automatically. These plug-ins can still be upgraded by the installation program, but the user must select them specifically.
This will also make sure they get added to the Template project.
-craig

"You can never have too many knives" -- Logan Nine Fingers
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I believe it's not possible to install a plug-in to the Template, which initially appears to be a regular project until you determine that it lacks a VOC (which would be vital for any install process).

Reinstalling the server with re-selected options will cause the plug-in stage to be directly installed in the appropriate Repository tables (such as DS_STAGETYPES and DS_PLUGIN_STAGES) rather than working through the VOC, which is how the Package Installer works.

The geeks among us might ask whether it would be possible to install the plug-in stage in a regular project then copy the Repository table records into the Template "project". Of course it would be possible, provided you knew exactly which records to copy, and from and to where, and what's involved with registering it!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
Athorne
Participant

How to put Security in Project Template

Post by Athorne »

Along the same lines, does anyone know how to put a Security setup into the project template. By default and new project does not have a .prodmgr.adm, .developer.adm, or .operator.adm. I made an assumption that by configuring a project the way I wanted the security and copying these three files into the Template project, I would be able to replicate that security into each new project I create. This of course is not the fact. Does anyone know what I need to do to get the security settings into the Template project and have it replicate to new projects?

Thanks,
Andy
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

These files are created afresh when the new project is added.

You could, of course, copy them from the Template project afterwards.

But there's nothing in the product itself to do this.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.