TCL

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dwscblr
Participant

TCL

Post by dwscblr »

I would like to know more about TCL. Where could I get information on the same.

Thanks
Sreeja
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

If you telnet into DataStage then type HELP or HELP cmd like HELP CREATE.FILE. There is also help for BASIC like HELP BASIC OCONV(). Also HELP SQL SELECT.

I would download the manuals for Universe from IBM. There are some books on Universe from O'Rielly the Nutshell people and JES - Jonathan Sisk.

There are several parts to TCL. There the DBA commands like CREATE TABLE, ANALYZE.FILE or HASH.HELP. There are the reporting commands like SELECT, LIST or SORT. There are the application commands like BASIC, UPDATE and INSERT. These all have stupid names like Retrieve, Proverb and more.

Most of things you need to do are wrapped up in the DS.TOOLS menu. If you want to explore then learn ED. DS.TOOLS is a command. All commands must exist in the VOC. ED VOC DS.TOOLS will show you how this command works. It is a menu which runs other commands. The format of the VOC is the first field declares what type of record it is. V is in the first field for a Verb. Verbs are action commands like SORT or LIST. You can create your own verbs from cataloged BASIC programs and other ways. IBM probably has classes on Universe. The easiest way is to be mentored. It is not complex. You can learn a lot in a day. Hire Ray for a day or a week.

I think one of my tips has a UV help file. It is very crude but may help you get jumpstarted.
Mamu Kim