Delete jobs

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

pegasus
Participant

Delete jobs

Post by pegasus »

I got some jobs that show in the Designer and Manager but not in Director. I tried to delete it but it prompt

"Cannot open executable job file RT_CONFIG192"

Anyone knows?
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

This happened to me today. Last night I was doing an import and the power went out. So I had some broken jobs. There are several hash files that get created in a project which are used to design, build and run jobs. Each job has a job number like 1,2,3 ... All of these associated files have job number as part of their name. If you delete one of these files or an import stops before it can create one of these files then that job will not run properly. You have to know a little bit about

Universe to fix this. Every hash file should have a dictionary side as well as a data side. The DICT or dictionary side stores field names. Fields in Universe intrepret the data. They do not enforce data integrity like in Oracle and other databases. You could put a date field in field 3 and the dictionary could try to display it out field 4 and not work properly. The hash files associated with a job use a shared DICT file because they all have the same fields. The DICT file starts with "D_". It ends with same name as the DATA side like D_DS_JOBS and DS_JOBS. The associated job files are:

DS_TEMPnnn
RT_BPnnn
RT_BPnnn.O
RT_CONFIGnnn
RT_LOGnnn
RT_STATUSnnn

You can pretty well guess what each of these do. The nnn represents the job number. So 192 is the job number of the job which has a bad RT_CONFIG file. You can fix this with:

CREATE.FILE DATA RT_CONDIF192 DYNAMIC

If you want to fix the DICT side you need to edit the VOC record.

ED VOC RT_CONFIG192

You will need to make line 3 have D_RT_CONFIG on it.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The Cleanup button for the project in the Administrator client, as one of its tasks, seeks out and deletes any such "orphaned" Repository objects.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Arlo Guthrie? Are you a hippie? You aren't that old are you, Ray?
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You bet.

Arlo Guthrie is touring (or has just toured) here at the moment. Brought back a few memories, even though he doesn't do "that song" any more. Also, I ride a motorcycle.

echo "$DEITY has called in sick."
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
pegasus
Participant

Post by pegasus »

Tq for all ur replys.... :D
elavenil
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by elavenil »

Hi Kduke,

I got the same issue. As you suggessted i had created RT_CONFIG file and can you pls let me know what entries need to be added in VOC file.

Thanks & Regards
Saravanan
ray.wurlod
Participant

Wandering WAY off topic!

Post by ray.wurlod »

kduke wrote:Arlo Guthrie? Are you a hippie? You aren't that old are you, Ray?
Man, I remember Woody Guthrie!
And Maynard G Krebs.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

elavenil wrote:Hi Kduke,

I got the same issue. As you suggessted i had created RT_CONFIG file and can you pls let me know what entries need to be added in VOC file.

Thanks & Regards
Saravanan
The whole point is that you do not need to create the RT_CONFIG file. There is no such file.
Each job has a hashed file called RT_CONFIGnnn associated with it, where nnn is the job number. Being a hashed file, RT_CONFIGnnn is a directory containing three files, plus an associated VOC entry.
Even if you did create it there is no guarantee that you can recover the job; it's likely that some or all of the job's entries from DS_JOBS, DS_JOBOBJECTS and possibly other hashed files have already been deleted.

The Cleanup option from the Administrator client is what you need.
It will delete all these orphaned entries.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Woody grew up in Okemah, OK where my dad grew up. "In them Oklahoma hills where I was born". You probably like Dylan, CSNY, Buffalo Springfield. How about Hank Williams?

Ray, I did not know that DataStage could clean this stuff up. I am so used to manually fixing it.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

kduke wrote:Woody grew up in Okemah, OK where my dad grew up. "In them Oklahoma hills where I was born". You probably like Dylan, CSNY, Buffalo Springfield. How about Hank Williams?
Now you're just jumping to conclusions. :wink: All I said is I could remember Woody Guthrie. While I do admire some of his work, my main musical tastes are elsewhere, including Ravi Shankar, Pink Floyd, Deep Purple, Wendy Carlos, Cary Lewincamp, Don Burrows and various others as my moods change.
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Ray, that is an odd collection. How did Arlo get in this group? There is some drug music in there. That explains a few things.
Mamu Kim
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

I was drafted (and initially unhappy about it) during the VietNam conflict. Does that help?
kduke
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by kduke »

Makes a lot of sense. My draft number was 120. They were already scaling back by then. My brother got a college deferment. He is a little older was the perfect age to be in the middle of all that. I still love the music of the 60s and 70s. CCR was my fav and Led Zep. I liked some folk rock like CSNY and Dylan. Bit much now days. I still play some of it. Beatles will always be the best.

Ray, why aren't you more mellow? Life is too short to live for work. Too many jerks running the show. Too many buzzwords and not enough real skill. Never seen so many projects out of control with no clue on how to solve it. I wish we had some good books by guys like you and Ken to teach these people how to do this stuff in an organized way.
Mamu Kim