Peoplesoft with Datastage..

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

ashcar
Charter Member
Charter Member

Peoplesoft with Datastage..

Post by ashcar »

i am a datastage developer with no peoplesoft experience and underwent training in the new peoplesoft class DS324PSFT v7 ..i wanted to know..whats new ?? and if its similar for different Packs datastage offers for SAP and BW
I could not find any difference between Datastage server v7 and the PeopleSoft datastage rel 7.1r1 except that there was more stress on DRS plugin..
I read thru Ray's earlier post where he mentioned 2 customised plugin stage for peoplesoft. Can anybody please tell me what is different in this peoplesoft datastage release and the plugin stages for peoplesoft.
the earlier posts also mention Hierarchy tree plugin
I have installed PS DS rel 7.1r1, so may be i can explore
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The only difference in the product shipped by Ascential originally were the two stage types I described earlier - one for getting at table-based rows, the other for working with hierarchies.

Meanwhile, Ascential and PeopleSoft engineers have been working on about a thousand Transforms and/or Routines to mimic the mappings that PeopleSoft used to have with Informatica. I don't know whether these have been shipped yet; I understand that they will be made available through PeopleSoft technical support.

These are the only differences.

The Dynamic Relational Stage (DRS) is part of regular DataStage. It is stressed for PeopleSoft because it means that they can be agnostic in their DataStage designs as to the database that their customers are using. It is for this reason that the database type in the DRS can be a job parameter.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
ashcar
Charter Member
Charter Member

Post by ashcar »

RAY.....So what i learned in DSPSFT v7r1 class was just a rerun of datastage server class..or a generic version. i do not know if it will help in my job search also i could not find those plugins u mentioned...bcos i understand u have been an instructor for the DSPSFT class..u probably know ..where do install them from. i am trying to put my above class experience on my resume and just can't figure what to say ...disappointed :(
any suggestions
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The two plug-ins are obtained on a separate CD. I do not know whether you get them from PeopleSoft or Ascential, nor what the commercial arrangements are; this was organized for me when I presented the class. I only know for sure that they're on a separate CD.

The DS324PSFT class was not the same as the regular DataStage Essentials class, though there was obviously some degree of overlap. As you noticed, there was greater emphasis on the DRS, because this is a vital piece of how PeopleSoft will deploy canned DataStage jobs onto their customers' machines. There was a little more about DataStage BASIC than in the regular class, too, plus some topics from the "Best Practices" class, mainly so that PeopleSoft support folks can talk about why staging of data is important to robust ETL.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.