Difference between Transformer and Basic Transfomer stage ?

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

Gughanand
Participant

Difference between Transformer and Basic Transfomer stage ?

Post by Gughanand »

Please help us ....

1)what is the basic Difference between Transformer and BASIC transfomer stage in parallel jobs..

2) and give the limitations/advantages of Transfomer and BASIC transfomer stage in parallel jobs??
kab123
Participant

Post by kab123 »

The basic difference between these two is that in BASIC Transformer stage, we can access BASIC transforms, routines and functions as the name itself says.
and the documentation "Parallel Job developer guide" gives you two chapters with clr description.hope that will help you.

Thanks
Thanks
suma
Participant

Post by suma »

ThanX Sunny,,,But a Transformer Stage can also access BASIC transforms, routines and functions Right?? There is no much difference between both the stages.I have gone through Parallel Job developer guide,but i cudnt find any difference.I have not worked on it.
So i cudnt come out with a conclusion.
Practically Do u find any difference?? :?

Thanks,
SumA
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

The Transformer stage in parallel jobs can NOT access BASIC functions, etc. It uses a completely different expression editor, with a largely equivalent list of operators, and a different, though overlapping, list of functions and other operands (but they're not BASIC functions and operators).

The BASIC Transformer stage in parallel jobs is a direct equivalent of the Transformer stage in server jobs. Its use will carry a performance overhead, because the BASIC run machine will also need to be loaded when the parallel job is executed. But the convenience might well override this consideration, particularly given the richness of the function set in BASIC.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
mandyli
Premium Member
Premium Member

Post by mandyli »

hI

What is BASIC Transformer . Really i don't understand..
[code]
Transformer stage in parallel jobs will not accept basic function..[/code]

please clarify.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

In parallel jobs there are two, very different, stage types. One is called the Transfomer stage, the other is called the BASIC Transformer stage.

Parallel jobs do not use the DataStage BASIC run machine; instead they use a C-based environment that is/was called osh (from "Orchestrate shell", Orchestrate being the original name for the parallel execution environment acquired by Ascential by purchasing Torrent).

This is why the Transformer stage in parallel jobs does not use BASIC. The BASIC language not supported in osh.

The BASIC Transformer stage in parallel jobs causes osh to invoke the DataStage BASIC run machine for the stage to be executed. This obviously is an extra overhead.

Please note that all this may change in a future revision of DataStage. But it's how things are now.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
chengankal
Participant

Difference between BASIC TRM and Parallel TRM

Post by chengankal »

Ray,

I am using the latest release of EE DS 7.5.1.18. When I open my Parallel Canvas, I can see only one Transformer Stage. How can I see or use the Basic Transformer ? Your advice is appreciated.

Thanks in Advance,
HS
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

In your Designer do a right mouse click on the repository window and turn on "Show stage types". Go to the Stage Types - Parallel - Processing folder. You should see BASIC Transformer second on the list. Drag and drop it into your Palette. Your palette is made up of short cuts to your stage types list so you are missing the short cut to the BASIC transformer. You can put your short cut into the Processing palette folder or into your Favourites.