Odd error adding new ODBC connection

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

rmh3
Participant

Odd error adding new ODBC connection

Post by rmh3 »

I just had our DBA add a new DB2 ODBC connection to our DataStage installation and when I attempt to import table definitions from it, I get the following (non-error) message..
"Data source 'XXXXX' appears to have no tables.

Now, I know there are tables in there, and I've seen errors when the ODBC connection wasn't set up properly, but I've never seen this particular message before. I checked the .odbc.ini and uvodbc.config files and both look good to me. I can log onto the box DS runs on, go into DB2 and connect to the suspect database using the same login and password I try to import with and there's no problem. Any ideas? This one has me stumped.
mhester
Participant

Post by mhester »

I believe that during ODBC configuration a library list should be entered. Verify that the library list is valid.

Regards,

Michael Hester
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Try checking the "system tables" check box and seeing what happens. There are always system tables!

Try using an ODBC trace to record the "conversation" between DataStage and the ODBC driver (and, possibly, DB2 instance). Note, especially, what SQLSetConnectOptions are set, and what happens in the SQLTables call.

Is your DSN set up to filter table names; thereby restricting all of the table names in the specified database?
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
I had a similar situation with oracel.
I tried importing tables and got table has no columns.
I think it had something to do with the DB configuration, since when it finally worked no changes were made in the DS side.
The DBAs never did say or maybe couldn't finger the exact change that eventually enabled the import from that DB
p.s. in my case it was also a new DB.

so I think you might want to get your DBAs to check for differences between the old DBs configuration that work fine and the new DB configuration that doesn't.

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org
rmh3
Participant

Post by rmh3 »

Well, I get the same response when I check system tables. I can see the tables if I try going through the plug-in rather than ODBC, so I kinda doubt it's something on the Db configuration. I've asked our DBA to run an ODBC trace and I'll post the results as soon as I have them. Thanks for all the help so far though, guys.