DS start prompts for password

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

basistek00
Participant

DS start prompts for password

Post by basistek00 »

Installed DS 7.0 on solaris 8 as root with dsdadm as the admin user. DS runs fine as root, but prompts for PW when I try to start as dsdadm. I've tried the dsdadm PW, and do not have the root PW. Error says:

/Ascential/BWD/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/sample/ds.rc: /Ascential/BWD/Ascential/DataStage/DSEngine/.DBsetup.log: cannot create

I previously had DS installed on this box and removed all dshome and /tmp before fresh install. umask set to 22, dsdadm user looks ok. I'm stumped.

I noticed there are no dstmp.date files in dshome as I have on an install that is working.

Thanks,
Bill
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

If you're trying to use dsdadm as the administrative user, you will need to enable impersonation mode. Read up on this in the installation guide.
Otherwise, try using dsadm as the user ID. But, even then, you should properly have installed as dsadm.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
leo_t_nice
Participant

Post by leo_t_nice »

Hi

We had a similar problem a little while ago, and if i remember correctly we just pressed the enter key when asked for the password.
basistek00
Participant

Post by basistek00 »

Thanks for your replies. I believe the prompt was for the root user's password. I installed with the -admin <admin user> parameter, so my dsdadm user was already set up, and

$DSHOME/bin/uv -info

shows impersonation enabled.

Turns out the problem was the way my unix admin mounted the Ascential file system. To lock down set UID, he included "nosuid" in the the mount command. You can view the mounted status with;

% mount -v

Thanks for the replies.
Bill
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Thanks for that feedback. I've not encountered anyone using a NOSUID mount in the past, because I always explain that the DataStage software requires the capability to use setuid in preliminary meetings with those involved. Sometimes, of course, I have to explain why this is (primarily it's because the system processes sometimes need access to other processes' shared memory segments), and that explanation, together with the assurance that there are no security holes, usually satisfies them.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.