create xml on mainframe

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

cloggieroo
Participant

create xml on mainframe

Post by cloggieroo »

Hello, as a new person to Datastage, I am after some info and hope someone can help.
I need to create an xml file from data taken from multiple sources on a z/OS machine. The xml file must be resident on the mainframe. I have been reading docos on DataStage XE 390 and from what I can see, there is no way to do this using DataStage XE 390, and I would have to FTP (for instance) to DataStage on Windows and perform the translation there. Is this correct?

Thanks in anticipation,
Stephanie Caston
vmcburney
Participant

Post by vmcburney »

You are correct, your mainframe source files need to be transferred to your DataStage server for processing. If you are using FTP it is useful to use some mechanism that tells the DataStage job that the file has been completely transferred such as the creation of a flag file or a final MV command once the FTP is complete.
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

Welcome aboard! :D

Does your nickname mean you're an Aussie working in the Netherlands?

There's no DS390 equivalent of the XML writer stage. So, yes, the only way to do this solely using DataStage would be to generate, for example, a delimited flat file on the mainframe and use an FTP stage to send this to somewhere that you can run DataStage server jobs.
Here you could generate the XML then return it to the mainframe, again using FTP.

Good luck with the politics of being permitted to FTP files to the mainframe! (The technical part is easy; getting permission is another thing entirely!)
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
cloggieroo
Participant

Post by cloggieroo »

Thanks Guys, for the great responses. Yes, guilty as charged, an Aussie living in Netherlands for the last 5.5 years.

I was hoping that I was wrong - I am well aware of the politics involved and the gnashing of teeth when I present my findings will reverberate across Benelux I am sure.

:lol: