Exporting a single DataStage component

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

dstechdev
Participant

Exporting a single DataStage component

Post by dstechdev »

I've searched this forum for any info on exporting a single DataStage component via a commandline process and the closet I've seen is using dscmdexport to export the whole project.

My question is - If I can export a single component via Manager from a project as an XML file,setting the options I need to receive it(internalized,externalized,etc) and the file gets put on my local machine, is anyone aware of the command and/or the parameters that achieves this?
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

You know that you can do it by choosing Options in the Export dialog and choosing "Individual Component" as the selection method.
The actual export is driven from within the Manager client (or, more precisely, from dsexport.exe which is called from it). This interacts with the DataStage server through DSObjects (dsobjects.dll) to retrieve the information.
No information is published on exactly what's happening within dsexport.exe, and without knowledge of the DSObjects interface even switching on server side tracing to try to discover the calls that are being used would not be of much assistance. DSObjects is based on UniObjects, the manual for which can be downloaded from the IBM web site. But after that you're on your own!
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
kcbland
Participant

Post by kcbland »

The importexport facilities of DS objects within DataStage still remains one of, shall we say, anemic capabilities of the client side software. It is a constant source of disappointment for people who wish to pluck a couple of modified objects from the repository and export them.

While not graceful, one of the choices you have is a full export, then use a "dsx cutter", of which you can find them by searching this forum. Basically, you simply export the whole project and then use a program to parse the full export into a file per object. This can be a temporary fix until the client software gets its act together.

However, I'll warn you, I've been using dsx cutters since 1998 because waiting seemed to not be a prudent idea when I've got to get the work done. Good luck!
Kenneth Bland

Belt: First degree black
Fight name: Captain Hook
Signature knockout: right upper cut followed by left hook
Signature submission: Crucifix combined with leg triangle