Problem with view data of a fixed width fileset

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

sandy
Participant

Problem with view data of a fixed width fileset

Post by sandy »

Hi Gurus,

I am facing problems while viewing data from a fileset when I set the format as Fixed-width records on the Fileset stage. The meta data definition for the file contains fields with datatype BigInt, SmallInt, Integer and Char. There are no VarChar fields. I have also specified the Record length property of the fileset stage = sum of lengths of the columns.
(with BigInt = 20, SmallInt = 6 and Integer = 11)

When I perform View Data on the Fileset, all the columns are messed up.
It could be reasoned that I may have specified the wrong lengths for the fields, but that is not the case. I have opened the file in notepad and made sure that the lengths are correct.

What may be the reason for this situation? Am I missing out on something? Any help/suggestions are welcome.

Thanks for your time,
Sandy
roy
Participant

Post by roy »

Hi,
I know you are on PX (enteprise edition), though I'm not using it nor do I have one available to check it, here is what I know from DS server (maybe it'll help): sequential files with fixed length uses the display metadata definition rather then the usual length and percision in delimited files.

IHTH,
Roy R.
Time is money but when you don't have money time is all you can afford.

Search before posting:)

Join the DataStagers team effort at:
http://www.worldcommunitygrid.org