Backup HashFile

Post questions here relative to DataStage Server Edition for such areas as Server job design, DS Basic, Routines, Job Sequences, etc.

Moderators: chulett, rschirm, roy

zhecov
Participant

Backup HashFile

Post by zhecov »

Hi ...

knows somebody of some tool to make backup of hash file or some form of make.. thanks
ogmios
Participant

Re: Backup HashFile

Post by ogmios »

Copy the physical files of the hashfile when no DataStage jobs are running on it.

Anyway you should be able to recreate hash files at will: I've had numerous hash files go corrupt on me. So if the only place where you store your data is a hash file I would rethink your design.

Ogmios
ray.wurlod
Participant

Post by ray.wurlod »

A job that populates a hashed file can take a backup before doing so. On the inputs link to a Hashed File stage there is a check box called "Backup existing file" - click on the Help button for more information.

As other posters have noted, because a hashed file exists in the operating system, you can copy the operating system objects (a dynamic hashed file is a directory containing three files DATA.30, OVER.30 and .Type30). It is vital that nothing be using the hashed file when it is backed up. Metadata for a hashed file live in a separate file, called D_hashedfilename.

There is a backup utility in DataStage, called uvbackup (and uvrestore for restoring from a uvbackup image). The same caveats about "file in use" apply if you choose to prefer this utility.
IBM Software Services Group
Any contribution to this forum is my own opinion and does not necessarily reflect any position that IBM may hold.
arunverma
Participant

Re: Backup HashFile

Post by arunverma »

Hi ,

While creating hash file , you can also give path , where you want to store ( Application working Directory ) then you can take backup , If you are not chhosing path then hash file create default directory on ETL server .

Arun
Arun Verma
zhecov
Participant

Post by zhecov »

ray.wurlod wrote:A job that populates a hashed file can take a backup before doing so. On the inputs link to a Hashed File stage there is a check box called "Backup existing file" - click on the Help button for more information.

As other posters have noted, because a hashed file exists in the operating system, you can copy the operating system objects (a dynamic hashed file is a directory containing three files DATA.30, OVER.30 and .Type30). It is vital that nothing be using the hashed file when it is backed up. Metadata for a hashed file live in a separate file, called D_hashedfilename.

There is a backup utility in DataStage, called uvbackup (and uvrestore for restoring from a uvbackup image). The same caveats about "file in use" apply if you choose to prefer this utility.
thank's